Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello all,

I'm attempting to adjust the quadrant on my '49 8N. I'm doing so because I don't get any lift until the position control level is at least 2/3 of the way through the travel.

I'm following the procedure in the FO-4 manual, and while simple enough looking, I still have a couple of questions.

1st, I'm supposed to put the position control lever into the horizontal position. I push it toward horizontal, but before I get there, the lever hits a mounting bolt below the seat. I get close to horizontal, but not quite. I was wondering whether the lever had been removed and put back on wrong. The lever has a bend to it, and it bends in toward the tractor. I'd think that it should bend out, but looking at FIG FO135, the lever in that picture looks to bend in as well. So, is mine right, and is close to horizontal good enough?

2nd, looking at FIG FO136, the rocker lever shown is not visible to me on the tractor. It's full of oil - is it down in the oil? I think I've felt it down in there. Looking into the opening, There is a rod going vertically down into the oil. Is the rocker lever on the end of the rod?

Tim PloughNman Daley
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Position/Draft Control Lever shouldn't hit anything when moved to the horizontal DRAFT control position. Are you sure it is 'hitting' something? It will feel a little stiff until it clicks in.

TPD

timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do hear the click, which seems to happen about halfway through the travel. Is the click what really matters? The lever stops about 25 degrees before horizontal, after starting at full vertical. Is that good enough? I may just being too literal.

I don't know what the difference is this morning, but the lever is not hitting anything now. The only difference is that the cover is on the opening, whereas last night I had it off.

Caryc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:26:30 10/07/17) I do hear the click, which seems to happen about halfway through the travel. Is the click what really matters? The lever stops about 25 degrees before horizontal, after starting at full vertical. Is that good enough? I may just being too literal.

I don't know what the difference is this morning, but the lever is not hitting anything now. The only difference is that the cover is on the opening, whereas last night I had it off.

I don't have to worry about that little position / draft control lever since my 8N does not have one on it and yes, I do have position control. Wink

timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm hoping to make this adjustment this evening, and am still unsure about the following (pasted from above):

2nd, looking at FIG FO136, the rocker lever shown is not visible to me on the tractor. It's full of oil - is it down in the oil? I think I've felt it down in there. Looking into the opening, There is a rod going vertically down into the oil. Is the rocker lever on the end of the rod?

Thanks.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:28:26 10/09/17) I'm hoping to make this adjustment this evening, and am still unsure about the following (pasted from above):

Thanks.
below the oil. Begin lift at about 2/3 travel of lift control lever is normal for Draft control , but not for position control.

timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How far through the travel before before lift starts is normal for position control?

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2017 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JMOR wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:35:21 10/09/17)
Begin lift at about 2/3 travel of lift control lever is normal for Draft control

does this apply to 9/2Ns as well?

timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was trying to adjust the quadrant yesterday and found a tack weld that prevented me from doing so.

This is not a factory weld, right? If it is, then I don't understand how to make the adjustment.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:21:21 10/10/17) I was trying to adjust the quadrant yesterday and found a tack weld that prevented me from doing so.

This is not a factory weld, right? If it is, then I don't understand how to make the adjustment.
Loosen those 4 bolts. They are in slotted holes. Assy slides fore & aft.

timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:45 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I didn't state it, but I had loosened the 4 bolts. I thought that the tightened bolts held the plate against the quadrant and that the quadrant would rotate when the bolts were loosened.

Is that not the case? Is it a for-aft adjustment?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:46 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:45:09 10/10/17)
Well, I didn't state it, but I had loosened the 4 bolts. I thought that the tightened bolts held the plate against the quadrant and that the quadrant would rotate when the bolts were loosened.

Is that not the case? Is it a for-aft adjustment?
It is not for & does not rotate & is for fore/aft.

timsch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alright, I'll try that when I get home.

Now, If anyone can help me understand what this adjustment is actually doing internally, I'd appreciate it. I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks for the help.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:54:47 10/10/17)

Now, If anyone can help me understand what this adjustment is actually doing internally, I'd appreciate it. I'm a bit baffled.

Thanks for the help.
When you operate the touch control lever it rotates the attached shaft which has an eccentric on its inside end. This eccentric moves the top end of the control arm fore/aft as you move lever up or down. Sliding the quadrant alters the center point of the eccentric & thus the end points of the top end of the control arm travel.

Caryc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Quadrant adjustment and position control level questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

timsch wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:54:47 10/10/17)

Thanks for the help.

JMOR has it correct.

When I replaced my dowel pin and bent control rod with a straight one, it would only lift to a certain height which was not enough for me.

I loosened those four bolts and slid the casting probably one eight to three sixteenths of an inch to the rear. Then the lift raised up to where I wanted it.

Mark the position of the casting to the top cover so you'll know where it was before you started moving it. You can see JMOR's mark in his picture.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters