Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What kind of Dexta did I buy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jmunday
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:04 am    Post subject: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello
Just bought a Dexta and am a little confused about what exactly it is. Here's what I know so far

The serial number on the left side states that it is a Dexta produced in 1958

Someone put that ford emblem on the front but it looks like it would accept the oval dexta emblem.

Under the ford 2000 stickers on the hood are holes for the side Dexta hood logo.

the clutch was bad and I had to split the tractor (I knew that I would have to do this). I found the clutch pressure plate and the clutch release bearing hub support under ford 2000 on the tractor part websites. The parts were not under Dexta.

Tractor data states that ford didn't start making the 2000 until 62 but was this an earlier attempt at badging a dexta as a 2000? Or did someone just try to make it look like a 2000?

fatbob50
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you have there is an English made Fordson Super Dexta. It is a 2000 Ford Dexta with a 3 cylinder diesel engine. They were made between 1962 and 1964. I owned one for 15 years. It was a good tractor. The only thing I did not like about it was the lack of power steering. Also, the parts are expensive for it. When you buy parts for it, you need to tell them it is a Super Dexta as most of the parts are not interchangeable with the 2000 Ford.

PeterE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Super Dexta was sold in the USA as the Ford 2000 Diesel. Although, those are not the correct decals for the 2000 Diesel. Some photos.
2000 Diesel

jmunday
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies I really appreciate it. I guess what confuses me the most is that the serial number dates it as a 1958 model. The 2000 wasn't produced until 62. Also the front end looks different than the pictures example pictures. Thanks for your help.

cdmn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The front looks correct for 1958. The Super Dexta front came later.
Your Live/Live insignia is usually mounted on the other half of the grille.
Rear fenders are for US Ford.

jmunday
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I should have mentioned that it doesn't have a live pto. The previous owner had it for 2 years and the owner before painted it and must have added that badge. I took the clutch out of it and it's a single stage clutch. Think it's just a parted together tractor or an early us model? Thanks for the help.

Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks correct for a '58 Dexta, except for fenders and paint/decals, etc. check in tractor data. You will need to click on "show all tractor brands", and then Fordson, to get to the Dexta.
HTH, Dave

bhayden
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sheet metal (tin) looks to be standard Dexta. The rear fenders are way to far up from the tires; should just clear. Obviously the decal/badging were all added and not consistent with anything. Too bad it's not the two stage clutch.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a standard Dexta built from 58-61 that had a 144 ci engine.
Super Dexta built from 62-64 had a different grill like in fatbob50's photo, Super Dexta had a 153 ci engine and 7 more hp.

Both models where sold in the US as Diesel 2000 models.

We had a Dexta for many years, most fuel efficient tractor I ever operated, had to work it hard to use up that 7 gallon tank of fuel in a day.

Fenders are not correct, originals ran down to the foot boards, foot boards are extra wide and subject to bending over without fenders attached.

bhayden
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What kind of Dexta did I buy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

>>had to work it hard to use up that 7 gallon tank of fuel in a day<<
I've been monitoring my fuel use. Mostly just running my backhoe so a lot of idling but it's been consistent over 30+ hours burning .47-.49 US gallons per hour. BTW, recognize that if you do an oil change the manual specs will be in British Imperial units! I'll attempt to attach a picture of the fender (Mud Guard) with the wheel removed:

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters