Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:05 pm    Post subject: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi, I was pulling a small stump when I heard a loud snap at the rear end, I then drove to the yard and when I stopped I had no forward or reverse at rear end, tractor felt like it wanted to move but no go.

I now have it in the shop with rear end blocked up and rear end drained with right side cover off.

When in gear I can see gear turning in cover hole and rear end turns, but I can stop and hold both wheels from turning by holding tires.

I searched archives and cant really find an answer to this one so I need some help.

Thanks,
Tim

I have other problems but one thing at a time...

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you stop and hold the rear wheels, does the gear continue to turn?

If so, the problem is in the rear, spider gears, pinion, axle.

But if the gear stops, the problem is forward, clutch, or transmission.

I'm thinking there is a coupling on the shaft, down in the belly, just behind the pump, that is designed to break before something else does. Been a while since I've been in there, but might drain the oil down so you can see what's happening.

miner09
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be a broke axle.

TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks..I guess tomorrow I'll start taking it apart.
I read a post from john UK but still not sure how to determine if its an left or right axle or deeper inside.

TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks... Need to determine left or right or something else.

Patch700
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While you have the tractor lifted with both wheels off the ground, try seeing if you can get power transmitting through to the output side of the pto shaft. The downside of an open differential in this case is of course the broken axle side is able to spin freely and therefore won't transfer power to the good side.. My best advice is to have someone spin one tire in one direction while you are holding one end of a solid piece of steel such as a 6" extension to the opposite side hub and the other end to your ear..
You may be lucky and hear a definitive clicking sound if it's the remnants of an axle stub rubbing against it's former mate ... Try this on both sides.
I'm going to concur with Steve on this and say probably a pin or spider gear .

Easy to start by pulling axles.

Good luck , let us know what you find

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove ROUND plates on either side of the DIFF. housing and verify IF COUPLING has sheared?

Bob..

TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This might be the problem huh...Looks to have been cracked for some time.

Now, how do I get the broken piece out of Diff.

Please dont tell me to tear rearend apart..My cherry picker is 400 miles away from here.

Had a hell enough time removing fluid filled tire by hand.

Thanks everyone.
tim

TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="CVPost-timap"](reply to post at 19:34:34 10/12/17) [/quote]

I have a cardboard tube I could slip in the housing, if I can weld a welding rod to the stub to pull it out, if thats how it comes out..

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I "think" you can pull the other axle and knock the broken piece out from the opposite side.

TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think your right. Going to be a SOB manhandling that other fluid filled tire. Need to borrow somebody's cherry picker for that one.
Thanks for the help.
Tim

TimAP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: 1956-TO35 Rear Axle Snap-No Go Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob. I did check that area first and found everything we good in there.
Thanks
Tim

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters