Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Voltage drop

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Voltage drop when choosing wire size is calculated as a worse-case under highest possible load. So . . if a 12 volt solar
panel is rated 17 volts and 120 watts - drop is figured with 7 amps. 3% drop is usually the max desired in a low voltage
system.

120 watt panel at 120 degrees F, with 130 foot run of plastic covered copper wire:

7 amps @ 18 volts: 10 gauge - 11.5% drop, 6 gauge - 4.2% drop, 4 gauge -2.9% drop

4 amps @ 18 volts: 10 gauge - 6.6% drop, 6 gauge - 2.6% drop, 4 gauge -1.1% drop

2 amps @ 18 volts: 10 gauge - 3.3% drop, 6 gauge -1.3% drop, 4 gauge -.8% drop

In cold areas that also get lots of snow, you add 10% to the panel rating since they can overproduce in those conditions.

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Inverters are a crap-shoot. Most so-called "sine-wave" or "true sine-wave" inverters do NOT make a real sine-wave. I have
had more compatibility issues with "true sine-wave" inverters then cheaper modified-wave inverters. Note I am talking about
portable off-grid inverters. NOT certified grid-tie inverters that can cost thousands of bucks.

On the issue of known name-brand versus unknown Chinese? Again, a crap-shoot. I am still using a 2000/4000 watt mod-wave
inverter I bought new for $89 ten years ago and it still works fine. I also have an Xantrex "sine-wave" and an Outback
"certified sine-wave" that both went bad when less then two years old and very little use. At least Outback sent me the
parts to fix it.

I bought a new AIMs 3000/6000 watt "true sine-wave" last year and used it for 20 days before it started turning itself on
and off. I called the company and they cannot even come up with a schematic for it.

The funny part of this is - I have yet to have an el-cheapo no-name Chinese inverter crap out on me. I guess I have been
lucky. I also have yet to have a "true sine-wave" inverter make a real 60 Hertz sine-wave. Imperfect wave really shows up
when running a smart phone, lap-top computer, batter charger, motor starting, etc.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:00 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes sirree.

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I see it the other way around. I have a cabin in the Michigan UP, in the middle of heavy forest with a "port-hole" in the tree-tops for sun. 800 watts of solar that only works for a few hours a day. I want NO loss. Makes no sense to have it. Difference of a few dollars to prevent loss with big enough wire or high enough voltage.

TomA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently installed a solar pump and shopped for 2 100 watt panels to run in series. Prices were about $1 per watt.
My wife is having a system installed using 12 280 watt panels. She paid significantly less, I think about 65 cents per watt. She says prices are due to rise dramatically due to one of the trade deals going on.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

per dollar spent the extra PV capacity would still charge the batteries faster than saving a few watts of I2R losses on the cable .
Going to 48V would reduce most of the loss concerns to minimal.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CIOA? Shame on you Guido. If you're going to use the one Italian word the whole world knows (not counting the names of food, anyway), you should at least spell it right. After all, you're Italian.

Stan

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello JDEM,

In is case, he stated that he has three weeks for charging time and one week of use time, with minimal low amp usage. It should work for him just fine,

Guido.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Stan,

How did I do that? I only had 12 years of schooling in Italy, Back to school I guess. I was 17 years old when I crossed the big pond. As you recall we served about the same time. Think I got in a couple of years before you. Keep a sharp eye, I will do the same.........

Guido.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These charge controllers , do they get warm ?

Roger in Wisconsin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:52 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a small solar system at our hunting cabin. It just
does lights and a tv to watch the Packers. Our only problem
is that the German charge control is temperature compensated
that means less charge the colder it gets. Our next step is
to make a separate room for the batteries and pipe some of
our wood heat there.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Snuck that one past the site cops didn't you. Grin

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OT

Speaking of super cooled, the focusing magnets for the Superconducting Super Collider Ion beam were designed for 4^K. Design called
for a Cryo unit every 5 miles of the 52 mile circumference. Thank Sam Donaldson, 60 minutes for crashing that. Cern in Switzerland did
the same thing on a smaller scale and lots less money. He saved the taxpayer $200M per year in operating expenses alone, not including
the cost of construction. Purpose was to prove the equations of the international scientists there about their Top Quarks and such when
collided at the speed of light....big train wreck.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the charge controller just a zenor diode shorting the pos and neg incoming line together when ever the voltage is too high? Or a power transiter dropping voltage ?

sotxbill
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: Voltage drop Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone is talking about voltage drop, but if the controller is for a 12 volt system and dropping it to 13.8 volts anyway...............................................................

a couple of volts drop on an 18 volt feed.... will not affect the system.

Now in reality, do the panels keep the voltage at 18 at full current rating... if so... no problem.

but if that's the open circuit voltage,,, they will drop voltage, pending on load as current increases, it may be a whole different ball game.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters