Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

poly sieve in my new-to-me L2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:31 am    Post subject: poly sieve in my new-to-me L2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought a 1980 L2 with 315 head last week and am going through it. It is rougher than I had hoped, but I think I got a good enough deal that I can fix it up and get a few years out of it. The amount of rat droppings behind the tattletales is concerning, but I managed to get that cleaned up and get working units out of my parts M2s.

It came with a sieve with poly slats. Online search brings up Gateway brand and I think that's what I have. Anyone else have them?

On a side note, I'm thinking about parting out my high hour 1981 M2 if someone needs parts.

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: poly sieve in my new-to-me L2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh yeah, Pictures. Didn't take a pic of the sieve, but here's the combine.

SmallSquare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: poly sieve in my new-to-me L2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RockyRidge,

Congrats- looks to be a nice one. Bought a 1980 L2 last year. It was mated to a JD 643 corn head that the drive needed some
work. Haven't used it much yet, but am happy with it.

Have a great harvest.

GM Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: poly sieve in my new-to-me L2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The mice love the upper console on Gleaners.

Remove the air filter, remove a few tattletales, and swing down the lower panel to discourage nesting.

As far as the chaffer, never ran the poly one, but it looks promising.

I see a matched pair of Firestones, so I think you did fine. Smile

rockyridgefarm
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: poly sieve in my new-to-me L2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm really happy with the big engine so far. The little engine in the M2 is really cold blooded. It'll crank for a half a minute on a 50 degree day. Colder, and it needs a sniff of starting fluid. This one only has one small car battery and it'll fire on the third revolution. I'm gonna put real batteries on it soon, but there is no need while i'm only running it while getting it ready.

Pressure washed it today.Surprised there was no fire for all the chaff and oil under and around the engine. Ended up with several inches of "stuff" under the combine when done.

SmallSquare
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: poly sieve in my new-to-me L2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had to replace the battery connector this year, it would click but not start. Replaced the lead one in the middle with a cast copper connector and now roars to life as soon as the key is
turned. The batteries drain in about a month, so I place the maintainer on it during harvest. Harvest doesn't take that long, but prep time takes awhile with a hour here and there.

The engine compartment had about 4" of oil and fuel soaked stuff on this one too. Thought it must be leaking, but stayed clean since it was scrapped out.

If you get a chance to take a picture of the poly sieve, it would be great to see.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters