Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry@stinescorner
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had our beagle Maggie cremated

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have a post hole digger for a tractor that helps a lot to put holes as close together as to can to break up the plot. Then do the rest with a pick and shovel.

dlbuck
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My parents had a German Shepard that died in early winter. They had a freezer in the shop they didn't use, so my Dad plugged it in, wrapped ol Sparkie in a tarp and in he went. It was August before my Mom hounded (pun intended) him enough to finally bury ol Sparkie.

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At the local people cemetery they use a jack hammer in the winter.

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Early 80s after two or three surgeries I had my favorite dog Rusty put to sleep. Was in January so I planted him in the manger in the NW corner of this barn, front was cemented but the back half was dirt, still hard digging.

moresmoke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here they go in the same compost pile as the cows.

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The burden of looking after a dead pet always falls to "Dad". No one really wants to Know , and I just don't tell them. Their gone their gone.

CKain(MI)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, dig now ...

Donald in MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i had a sheltie die in january 84 which was a very cold winter i had sugery in late november 83 and couldnt lift much i put him in a heavy duty trah bag and put him in an out building we didnt use in the winter i buried him in the spring . he was kinda freeze dried because the air is very dry here in the winter. course he was probably better than a 100 pounds lighter than your dog. i got the idea from my dad he said he heard someone died in the winter and they just wrapped him up and put him in the back of the wood shed till spring and buried them

brutus49DC
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

put a few round bales on the spot, I did that one year to put in wood posts in a cattle yard after it froze, years ago some bachelor brothers kept their dead mother in the grainery until spring because they didn't know what to do with her, on a lighter note a neighbor of mine told me they used to put a watermelon in a burlap sack and bury it in the oats bin so they could have a fresh mellon on New years Eve

Robert Major
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:18 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi JD I'm thinking you'll be digging this hole probably straight after the vet visit or fairly soon, if the dogs like this and the vets any good they will tell her straight out don't let it suffer.

My girlfriend has got one dog and a cat cremated they sit in nice pine boxes on top of the book shelf. Her new dog swears blind if she gets in trouble the voices from the boxes told her to do it L.O.L.
When our lab cross died in the winter we found a packing create, put him in a big bag and buried him in snow in an old shed that was here, just remember it's the first job to do when the grounds thawed, Several I know of have gone the freezer route to. The old guy and the barn must be a common thing from years ago.

There was a farm my friend looked at buying One brother died, the older brother put him in a grain bin. These guys were kinda recluses, soon after the other brother started loosing his memory before spring. The way it goes is there was a kinda strong smell on the wind in the neighbors yard one morning and they went investigating !.
Regards Robert

chevytaHOE5674
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

UP here once we get 3-4 feet of snow on the ground it usually thaws right out underneath. So you push the snow off and start digging ASAP. Depending on the air temp back-filling isn't so easy though.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We ran a Sawmill for years. When OLD YELLER (actually, his name was SCRAPPY)past away we placed OLD YELLER,is feed dish full of his favorites on the slab pile, read from the "Cremation of Sam McGee" and lite a fire. At -40 F the fire roared high and OLD YELLER met his maker.

Bob......

IlliniJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local cemetery uses a home made system to thaw the ground
Peoria Springdale Ground Thaw

Naylorbros
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: What do you Northern fellows do for winter burials??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was not going to write this but my family got a laugh out of it when it happened. When my grandfather fixed tom cat died the ground was frozen and non of us wanted to dug a hole in the frozen ground so we wrapped him up on a garbage bag and put him in the deep freezer with everything else. Depending on the time of the year and how good the year has been there might also be a couple of capes off of deer or elk wrapped up in the freezer too. Well spring came and we had all forgotten about the tom cat so he stayed in the freezer for an extended period of time. My brothers taxidermist needed a cape for a customers deer so he called my brother. My brother goes to the deep freezer and grabs what he thinks is a deer cape and heads to the taxidermist. He gets there, go in, opens the bag and out plops out the tom cat. I guess everyone was speechless for a minute looking at the frozen solid tom cat. Then the taxidermist says "so you want me to stuff the cat?" The tom cat came home that day and had a proper burial.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters