Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

More on oil pump gears

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:21:45 10/11/17)
CVPost-mhb@ufe wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:03:31 10/11/17) One of the biggest problems we run into with N oil pumps now is worn pump housings. We see a lot that had new gears installed without replacing the bushing or not sizing the bushing properly (too much clearance or not straight). It would be nice to find a way to install a different style pump and not have to replace the front main cap. What do you know about electric oil pumps?

Mark

Exactly - seeng more that are worn or damaged beyond repair. Often the result of a botched rebuild - the cracked on in my picture for example :shock:

Odd you should ask about electric pumps. I just spent a scant hour or so yesterday looking at electric oil pumps but didn't find anything that looked promising. I didn't look long or hard so there may be something somewhere that would get the job done. Might even be able to convert to a full flow filtering system in the process :idea:

What if any experience have you had with the new replacement caps/pumps? I'm tempted to buy one just to QC it....

TOH

We haven't installed one yet but I see it coming that we will need to try one unless we can come up with another pump system. I've done a little research on electric pumps as well but haven't found anything. If you think of anything that might work I would be very interested in hearing about it.

Mark

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I totally agree. I buy nothing but OEM parts and lubricants. Many times the cost difference is minimal between "OEM" and "will fit" parts.

Jock(OR)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The discussion earlier in this thread about the way the teeth seal at the contact faces, rather than
the bottom of the gullet got me to thinking if it would be possible to make gear sets with a larger
outside diameter and bore the old pump housings oversize.

I don't have the knowledge to determine if it would work, but it makes sense that the gears could be
made .020 or .030 oversize on the OD if the tooth shape and gullet depth could be worked out. That
would allow most housings to be salvaged.

This would not be a cheap solution, but it may be cheaper than buying all new parts and line boring.
With the proper tooling, it could be set up on a dedicated machine that isn't CNC, or program a CNC.

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:48 am    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Jock(OR) wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:06:45 10/12/17) The discussion earlier in this thread about the way the teeth seal at the contact faces, rather than
the bottom of the gullet got me to thinking if it would be possible to make gear sets with a larger
outside diameter and bore the old pump housings oversize.

I don't have the knowledge to determine if it would work, but it makes sense that the gears could be
made .020 or .030 oversize on the OD if the tooth shape and gullet depth could be worked out. That
would allow most housings to be salvaged.

This would not be a cheap solution, but it may be cheaper than buying all new parts and line boring.
With the proper tooling, it could be set up on a dedicated machine that isn't CNC, or program a CNC.

At first blush that sounded interesting. But upon further thought that would increase the pitch diameter of the gears and require widening the center spacing. There may be a tooth form modification/workaround for that problem but it's beyond my knowledge level.

TOH

gwstang
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2017 9:44 pm    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you started talking about the oil pumps, I remembered this thread and my adventure. Worst worn out oil pump...ever...you said.

http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1187362&highlight=oil+pump Shocked

nicko-31
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since this is the exact same issue I am
going through, what supplier's currently
have the proper rebuild kits with gears
that are "Not" udersized ? Thanks

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: More on oil pump gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-nicko-31 wrote:
(quoted from post at 16:31:03 11/12/17) Since this is the exact same issue I am
going through, what supplier's currently
have the proper rebuild kits with gears
that are "Not" udersized ? Thanks

Read here:

Bubba strkes again(or even more on oil pump gears)

TOH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters