Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Chevy to Cummins Conversion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have finished installing the "93 Cummins motor into the "94 Chevy 3500 and everything works just fine. I have 2 questions: First, do you guys think the easiest way to connect the gauges would be to install a set of auxillary gauges on the dash? Second, since there is no room for an AC compressor up front, none that I can visualize anyway, do any of you know of some way to install an AC system on this truck? I appreciate all comments.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can use the Chevrolet sending units in the Cummins block the gauges should work. Did the Dodge have AC?

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken, using sending units would require the services of the computer. This truck will not be dependent on a computer of any kind, by choice. The Cummins motor had brackets for the compressor, but there is no room between the motor and the Chevy frame for a compressor. We might be able to mount it up higher if we can utilize existing bolts. This is a new experience for both of us. Thanks.

Ga Rick
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did a 1997 Chevy truck motor swap, put carbureted big block in it. On those the gauges don't work through the ecm. You should be able to get the factory GM sending units and with the help of a wiring diagram wire the factory gauges to work.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Report back with fuel mileage.

Guy at work put a cummins in a 1995 ? Ford F250 4x4 he claims like 24-26 mpg empty ? which I find hard to believe.

Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think mechanical guages are going to be the way for you to go.I have a pair of 12 valve Cummins Dodges,and the weirdest things can upset the instruments.If my oil pressure starts acting up at a hot idle it means the battery terminals need checking.There are a couple of feed wires for functions that hang off the batteries,and just a little corrosion upsets everything.I don't usually bother to check the fuel mileage on mine,they mostly work towing short distances or plowing snow.I did get 28 MPG on a trip to pick up an engine one time.Those Cummins engines are way better on fuel than my 4 cylinder Rangers.That 93 engine should be a pre-intercooled engine,I have no idea how they were on fuel.I understand the later engines can be pretty horrid on fuel too.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So do I. 4X4s almost always have lower gear ratios in the rear end, plus they're heavier. However, 24-26 mpg is certainly not unreasonable. I have a "93 D-350 with a 5.9 Cummins up front. It has over half a million miles on it and still gets 23 or better depending on how fast I drive.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is yours an automatic or a standard? I've heard of people getting as high as 26, but never 28. Is yours pure stock? And is it a dually? I have driven a "93 D-350 with a 5.9 for about 15 years now. Has a 5 spd. Getrag. Gets about 23 with about 500K on it. It came with an intercooler. We put one in the "94 Chevy. I think I took it out of a "91 D-250. Incidentally, the "93 I have been driving finally stopped shifting the other day. I think it's the clutch. Haven't had time to look yet. It has hauled 20K# loads over hill and dale for a long time. It deserves a break.

Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My engine is stock.I did up the fuel line size to 1/2 inch,changed the timing just a hair,went to almost a straight pipe,just use a resonator in the rear.I did change to a different air filter too.I have a 3.54 rear(I think,I can't quite remember on that).I have am automatic overdrive that I have done quite a lot to.Some heavier parts and revalving,had to add a little box to change the shift points.The biggest thing I've changed in the trans is the torque converter.It bites very positively,with minimal slippage.The stock engine really use a little more power to carry that torque converter on takeoff.I rarely check the mileage I get,usually in the low-mid 20's.I went to southern Conn.to pick up a chipper engine and that was when I actually got 28MPG.1850 RPM gives me about 68 MPH./i held it there from the time I left until I got there.No cruise control.

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

M Mike: I have a factory 1990 Dodge W350 with a five speed in it. I commonly get 20-21 MPG with 4.10 rear ends. I know of several fellows that have 2wds that get 25+.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"If I'm not mistaken, using sending units would require the services of the computer."

Nope.

A '94 Chevy truck would have an oil pressure sender and 2 temp sensors, the oil sender operates the gauge directly, as does one of the temp sensors (the one in the LH head), (the temp sensor near the t-stat keeps the 'puter informed of coolant temp).

Simply adapt the old oil pressure sensor and correct engine coolant sensor to the Cummins, (using reducer bushings, if needed), and hook them up to the main wiring harness, the gauges won't ever know there's a Cummins under the hood, and will work as before.

Having seen a couple of engines ruined by a melted or worn-though plastic oil gauge line, or a worn-through or cracked/broken steel or copper line, I'd stick with the electric gauges.

Yep, the drivers/operators should have noticed the loss of oil pressure (and oil) in time, but it doesn't always work that way in the real world!

Tramway Guy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

?That 93 engine should be a pre-intercooled engine..?

Intercoolers were added in mid-91 model year.

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose if you drove 35-45 mph you could get that kind of mpg. When I cruise on the Interstate with my '96 PowerStroke I run 70-75 mph and get 18-19 mpg. If I could replace my 3.55 gears with 3.08's (frt & back) I could get a little better mpg.
The 300-6 powered F-150's I had got 12-14 mpg running 65 so I'm happy.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 6:45 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks heaps. My "93 D-350 has both stock and auxillary gauges. So I get 2 oil pressure readings plus exhaust gas temperature, fuel pressure and turbo boost.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Chevy to Cummins Conversion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the old 12 valves will do it, my 94 dodge cummins got 28 mpg running I 80 from colorado to iowa and back

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters