Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Need your advice.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ucsspirit
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:42 pm    Post subject: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Please pardon if this issue has already been hashed out but I would like to ask some advice your all you fine folks.

I cam across an old Massey Ferguson MF50. I got the chance to look at it today, and the owner just wants it gone, it seems rather complete. however this is where I need your help. It has been sitting out side for some time. I am not sure if it run, however the front cylinder had a new plug in it, the gas bulb was nice and clear with gas in it. it looks like it has a newer starter. but he current owner doesn't have the keys. It has power steering, a hydraulic control box by the seat, and the body seems mostly complete, however I don't know what I don't know. He is willing to let me take it for what I think is a steal. Let me know what you all think, I am going to take a battery, and some jumpers to see if i can make it run before I decide to buy it. But I would love to hear your opinions on what something like this would be worth. or if i should just run away. PS i do enjoy working on things but I don't want a huge project. more of a working project.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Those are the type of tractor I try to buy all the time. Buy them super cheap and drive them off the trailer after I get them home but winch them on. I have many I have done that with. Non running there worth a whole lot les then when running so if you get it running before you pay for it, it is likely to cost you more.

Crazy Horse
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are clueless about whether to buy it or not and are asking about it here, why not tell us how much
the guy is asking. That'll give you a good idea as to whether it is or not a steal.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, money. He wants it 'gone' right? So? free? Give you a couple beers to make it be gone?
Old has a really good point here, YOU get it to run BEFORE you pay him for it.... and you are setting yourself up for a big lesson. If it is- a couple hundred, a bit more if the tires are good... oh... if the tires are not good, it ain't worth too much even if running good. If you are willing to get into the project, tell ya, I got 3 50's, and happy i got em.
I do this in a situation like this. Its iron weighs about a ton. I offer double scrap price. so if iron is? $150 a ton where you are? Then dog will offer him 150 something, so you offer 300. That way nobody is getting robbed.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be SURE the individual ACTUALY OWNS this TRSACTOR?

Purchase the TRACTOR and find out later he had no wright / permission to sell....you are up the creek Sir:

Bob....

rockepg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya doesn't have the keys is a little fishy to me.. Check and see if the serial number tags are still attached too. If both are missing i would walk away.

ucsspirit
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Both the serial number tags are displayed, the
tractor is in an open field that was bought by a
developer, how do I verify he actually ownes it, do
they have titles ? As of now the negiated price was
400 buck and neither one of knows if it runs but I
feel it should run pretty easy. The tires are in rough
shape but hold air. My use will mostly be moving
my airplane around, and mowing large swaths of
grass. And possibly more odd jobs as it finds work

Phil Tibbetts
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy it before you try to start it or he may decide he wants more for it. I wouldn't worry about the keys, easy enough to hot wire it.

rockepg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds legit then. Buy it for that price and haul it home without messing with it. For that price you could part it out and make your money back easily.

wellmax99
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my lifetime experience,
if a deal is too good to be true, then something is not right.

if you buy the tractor, get seller to give you a bill of sale,
may still not be much help, if the real owner can prove its his tractor,
so do not pay more than you are willing to lose.

Just my two cents.

ask around in the neighborhood, maybe some old guy down the road can give you the 6 and 7 on who really owns the old tractor.
no use to get into a fire fight over an old tractor,

I have the serial number of my tractor written down in my records in case it were ever stolen, also some of the casting numbers, in case they removed the serial data plate,
do not know if it would do me any good, but worth a try, to prove its mine.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I re-read this.... power steering? pay him and just get a bill of sale. There is only one? 2 ? MF keys, don't worry about that.
Pull your airplane eh? Someone told me the Royal Canadian Air Force bought nothing but Masseys for tugs and mowers for decades. That would be a cool addition to your ....aerodrome...

2tractors
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:42 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clean gas and a new plug and no key plus want it gone equals time to make sure it will turn over either with a wrench or pulling it off in gear. Sounds like someone else already walked and said loose the key. Be sure and check the oil if new red flag if milky black flag. Bought a MF50 not long ago sitting for years paid 500 purrs like kitten top end looks brand new just needed clutch. If all is well I'd offer 200. If you get it home and too big a job then buy another and use for parts.

ucsspirit
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the advice i was looking for, I didn't want to try and start it in front of the guy i was buying it from, but I did want to make sure it would turn over. I figured at $400 I would have a hard time going wrong. but again I am new to all this. I did kind of want something i could refresh if you will and make into am amazing tug and lawn mower

steve19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

when buying or selling a tractor I have always requested or given a receipt. also make the seller count the money while you stand with him.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Need your advice. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-steve19438 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:49:00 10/12/17) when buying or selling a tractor I have always requested or given a receipt. also make the seller count the money while you stand with him.

X2 ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters