Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

4020 Injection Pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronhf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A week or so ago I asked some questions on my 1964 4020 that lost power.? I took the injection pump apart and it had a bunch of big chunks of the governor retainer ring in it so that is likely the issue.?

Before I took the pump off I set the flywheel at TDC and the timing marks on the pump were a little off, but close.? I got the pump back together but have not put it on the tractor yet.? I don't think its right.? I can look in the outlet holes in the pump, and when I align the timing marks No. 6 is firing.? I guess this means I put the weight retainer on 180 off?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You must mean you plugged the drive shaft into the rotor 180? off??

ronhf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont think the driveshaft is off. The dot on the driveshaft lines up with the dot on the rotor. The issue I have is that when the timing marks are aligned No. 6 is firing, and I think No. 1 should be firing.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now I understand. sounds like you have it figured out.

ronhf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the confirmation Bob. I was thinking of just taking the cover off on the other side of the pump, aligning the mark there, and make a new one on the right side. Any reason that wouldnt work? The current mark is not great. Here is a picture.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IF the drive shaft is In right, but the retainer is 1/2 turn off, just turn the flywheel one turn so the retainer mark is in play again. Then set it to TDC on #6 cylinder..

fdt860
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Write this somewhere on the tractor, oil pan, injection pump, whatever, cause it can be an headacke later.

Maybe the valve cover is the best place to document this, because you will have to remove it to see that the tractor is not like others.

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It doesn't take that long to disassemble the pump 1 more time and reassemble it correctly. I hope you scribed a line or made some marks somehow on the block and pump casting before you removed the pump. Then you know the timing is in the same place as before when you install it. My 71 4020 TDC mark on the flywheel is just out of sight when the marks on the pump are aligned. Runs perfectly.

ronhf
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2017 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 4020 Injection Pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did what Scott suggested and took it apart again cause it could have caused problems for someone in the future. Tractor started up and ran good after a little cranking. Thanks for your help.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters