Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Trailer spring bushings

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm restoring an old John Deere tagalong trailer,and trying to find spring bushings.Having worked on trucks,tractors,and trailers all my life,I thought it would not be too hard to find what I needed.Truck spring shops are NOT what they used to be.I tried the usual ones near me,that I've dealt with for 40 years.No go,if I can't give them an application they can't find it.They have told me though that they could have the bushings custom made by size.16 of them times $58.each is kind of out of the question.It has been suggested to make them out of UHMW,(polyurethane)as the off road boys use it for that.Does anybody know how it holds up long term?

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most trailer spring and low end equalizer bushings are plastic. Give me the dimensions and I might have some and can send them to you. If you want brass or bronze there is a factory near me that will make them for you and I would be surprised if they cost over $30 total.

Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My spring bushings have an OD of,1-1/8,an ID of 5/8,and are 2-1/2 long.They originally consisted of steel outer sleeve,rubber and a steel inner bushing.Those old John Deere trailers were built rather strangely,heavy iron,heavy axles,super heavy springs,and wimpy little 5 lug wheels.I have a 15 ton tagalong with lighter springs than this trailer is equipped with.I don't mind making them,if the bushings were going to be thinner walled I would think nothing of using the polyurethane.The bushings I make are going to wind up with a 1/4 inch wall thickness,it's probably going to be fine.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have some of these at home and you can order them. Are you sure on the 5/8 inside? Most trailers are 9/16. You could drill these.

Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:14 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The eye bolts on this trailer are all 5/8.15/16 heads on them.I have found spring bushings with both 5/8 and 9/16 bores,but none with the 1-1/8 OD that I need.The shackle bars,or links,are all a full 3/8 thick.I actually only need 12,not 16.I do some trailer work and have a lot of bushings,bolts,hangers,rockers,U-bolts,brake parts,etc around.This trailer was made in the 60's and seems to be all by itself.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well you can check with these guys then. They have a $20 minimum I believe. Very good folks.
Reliable bronze

Dave Sherburne, NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know if this is what you're looking for
bushings

Keith True
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Trailer spring bushings Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can find all those conventional size parts OK,it is the odd sizes that I need that are hard to come by.I have most of that stuff pictured here on the shelf.I have 5/8 eye bolts,which you normally see in 9/16.Also,when you see 5/8 eye bolts you normally see 1-3/8 OD spring bushings.Not so with mine,they are 1-1/8 on the OD.I don't really want to go with solid bronze,the originals had some give and I would like to keep it that way.I do have some bronze rod cut to length and ready to bore.A spring shop has told me the UHMW material I am thinking about using will be fine.He said to stay from the cheapo nylon,and the teflon.The teflon will ooze out under constant pressure.(cold flow)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters