Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Using Enamel Below 50F

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:28 pm    Post subject: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The can of enamel I have says to apply it when the temperature is above 50F. Is there any way it can be used on surfaces below 50F? I am working in a an unheated barn in central Michigan.
Thank you for any help you can be to me.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use it below 50 degrees but it takes forever to dry enough for another coat. In warm weather the paint would dry hard overnight but below 50 degrees might take 3-4 days to achieve the same hardness. When you paint, paint something you can throw away too. From time to time press your thumb into the paint and see if it leaves the print into the paint. When it gets hard enough there is no print it's ready. Your painting conditions will have to be a lot cleaner too as it will stay dripping wet for a lot longer.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for asking and answering this question - I came here this morning wondering about this myself.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

theres a couple problems you will run into. generally with enamel, its a 3 coat. first is a tack coat, just enough to get some coverage, it has to flash off to apply the second coat, which goes on heavier to get a full coverage, then it flashes again and the third coat is a full wet coat to get gloss. below 50, the solvents will take forever to flash of for recoats. then you have the dust and dirt issues that will accumulate over a long wait time. then when you apply the final wet coat, its going to run and sag. i would wait for warmer weather, otherwise you will be repainting.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No -- too many possible added problems. No maker or supplier of paint would want you to do it. No application guide would say to do it.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Darn - and I was just thinking how nice it would be with no bugs to get in the wet paint. . .

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have painted when air temp is below 50 many times, get parts and paint nice and warm.

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your help. It will help me a great deal. You gave me some great ideas. Will do a little experimenting and will post back. (Will be awhile)
Many Thanks Again

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Using Enamel Below 50F Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't do it. I've tried it a couple of times and there are simply too many problems with adhesion, dry time, etc. Even using the fastest reducer possible there are still lots of problems. Plus, it seems the products themselves get unpredictable at lower temps.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters