Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:23 pm    Post subject: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an opportunity to buy a really clean 1999 Dodge dually with only 80K on the 5.9 Cummins motor, 336K on the body and A.T.,but with 4.10 or 4.11
rear end gears. Owner says best he gets empty is 15 mpg. I know where there is a rear end for this truck with 3.54 or 3.55 gears, like the one in my
"93 dually that gets 22 mpg, for $900. I don't do any real heavy hauling anymore. I was just wondering if any of you guys have any experience with a
"99 Dodge rear end with 3.54 gears that indicate that the one I have found would provide substantially better fuel mileage to justify the $900 price.
Also, the Dodge 2500 that the motor came out of is part of the deal. It has the 5 speed manual transmission in the bed, which I assume is an NV 4500,
plus the motor that came out of the "99. Owner says a while back when he stopped for a fill-up while driving the dually, pure water from the bottom of
the tank in the ground at the store got picked up and pumped into his fuel tank. He says he didn't realize this until later when the motor quit, had
water in it and in the injector pump. Seems to me they ought to be repairable. Any comments would be appreciated.

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Walter, filters should have stopped the water from reaching the pump. As far as the rear ends, 3.55/3.54 will help. A 24 valve Cummins will not get near the mileage that a 12 valve will. Have both and my 12 valves will get better mileage than the 24 valves with the same rear ends and tire size. E-mail is open.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some Dodge truck owners say their 24 valves get better mileage than my 12 valve does. It's confusing, but then I don't know whether they have automatics or standards, if that makes any difference. We are almost finished with the conversion we started several years ago, working as time permitted, putting a low mileage 12 valve into a "94 Chevy dually with an NV-4500 tranny. Rear end gears are 3.73. I'm thinking seriously of keeping this truck and just buying the "99 to resell it since the owner only wants $3000 for both of his trucks.

Gary201
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have no personal experience with the 3.54 or 3.73 gears, but my '98 12v with 4.11 and auto trans (4X4) gets 15mpg loaded or empty. I don't get over 60-65mph, and if I turn the O/D off it is screaming at 55mph. Most people would hate it, but it is perfect for me and what I do with it. My friend has the same truck with 3.73's and claims 20+mpg.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What transmission do you have, automatic or standard?

4010 puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 92 regular cab 4x4 5 speed with 3.55 gears, summer time I had seen 21 mpg. Later I had a 01 reg cab 4x4 with 3.55 gears automatic which got 16-18 mpg. Then I had ext cab short bed 01 with 6 speed, I believe 3.55 gears about 18 mpg. Once I got 21 mpg on a trip which I ran 55 mph. I liked the 01 and 02 models but they say the 03 and newer common rail engines are real good on power.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everything keeps proving that the !st gen. Cummins were the best, and least expensive to maintain.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would go for the 350s if not hauling heavy all the time.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like that deal fell through. So, I'll be keeping the project truck, the "94 Chevy dually with the "93 Cummins in it and NV-4500 tranny. The rear end gears are 3.73.

jr1983
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

12 valve Cummins is one of the longest life engines with the best fuel mileage and the lowest power out there.When I say this I understand I'm a big fan of the 12 valve but if you're actually going to use the flipping thing for what it's for a 24 valve is a better engine all day long. Common rail you can pretty much figure you're going to spend about $3,000 putting injectors and it at 200,000 miles and then again it 400 when you're probably overhauling the engine.Best is entirely relative to what you're going to use the thing for.

DanMD
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a '99 2500 4x4 since new with 4.10 gears and a 5 speed. My truck weighs 8000. My best ever solo mileage was a trip at 55mph and I got 23.6. I can get 20 solo on most any highway trip. I get 12 to 16 towing. I love my truck and the 4.10 gears. They put me right at 2k towing on the highway which is a sweet spot for my motor. I had a '97 and I still miss the 12 valve in a lot of ways.

Dan

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got 3.73's in mine and they work really well, towing a trailer on rural roads I can do 55 mph at 2200 in direct staying out of OD, on big roads stick it in OD, 1800-2000rpm and run 65-70 mph.

jr1983, several around here with 24v engines have had to replace their injection pumps at $1000.

I like my all mechanical 215 p pump 12v, changing the fuel plate and governor spring has given it the power I need, not the fastest out there but pulls plenty strong for me. It's setting in a 04 F-450 Super Duty 4x4 dually, hence my handle Destroked 450, makes a real good towing combination, fuel milage isn't the best (11-14) but it's hooked to a tandem dually trailer 90% of the time.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well jr1983, I suppose this is what horse races are all about, but I look at it this way. I now have over half a million miles on my 1993 12v. Most of those miles have been pulling something, often two 5000-8000# tractors on my gooseneck trailer over hill and dale all over this country. The ONLY time I had to rebuild the inj. pump was after getting water in it. Cost me $575. I replaced all six 300 Hp injectors for $275. I roll along the interstates at the speed limit, usually 70mph. Plus, I don't have to worry about being stranded somewhere in the event of am EMP attack or a solar flare because there are no computers that would get fried. Therefore, I fail to see how the 24v engines are an improvement. True, they may be faster in a quarter-mile race, but who cares? I bought my truck to pull, not to race.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Walter Buller wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:09:01 11/07/17) Well jr1983, I suppose this is what horse races are all about, but I look at it this way. I now have over half a million miles on my 1993 12v. Most of those miles have been pulling something, often two 5000-8000# tractors on my gooseneck trailer over hill and dale all over this country. The ONLY time I had to rebuild the inj. pump was after getting water in it. Cost me $575. I replaced all six 300 Hp injectors for $275. I roll along the interstates at the speed limit, usually 70mph. Plus, I don't have to worry about being stranded somewhere in the event of am EMP attack or a solar flare because there are no computers that would get fried. Therefore, I fail to see how the 24v engines are an improvement. True, they may be faster in a quarter-mile race, but who cares? I bought my truck to pull, not to race.

And there you have it. Told like it is. Electronics of any kind do not belong on trucks or tractors.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still have the computer on my truck, it operates the tach and AC.
I can get by without the tach.
I refuse to buy a computer controlled tractor.

As for fuel mileage, the 1st gen Cummins engines are known to get the best overall mpg.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters