Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are making me feel bad, computer will work on anything.

SVcummins
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 98 24 valve with 354 rear ends gets 16 empty it weighs just over 9000 pounds empty dually quad cab 5 speed . My 94 with the same gears and 5 speed got 17 and I use em towing they get about 12.5 to 13.5

SVcummins
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New Holland tv140 fluid in all tires

GM Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMO the only way to buy a Dodge with the Cummins in the 1990s is to get it with the manual transmission and 3.55 gears.

As for weight being hauled being too much for 3.55s, that doesnt seem to phase my buddy, he has scaled north of 40K numerous times with his. Mild fuel plate, figures 250 HP or so.

It can also get well over 20 mpg empty if kept under 2000 RPM.

Now if it had the automatic, to keep that thing alive 4.11s may not be a bad idea.

on my 90s Chevy diesels (6.5L) I run the 5 speed manual (also NV4500) and most of mine have 4.10 gears, and I hate it. too many RPMS in 4th, not enough in 5th. I am thinking of re-gearing to 3.42s and running in 4th loaded and saving 5th for running empty. I usually scale from 16-26,000 lbs combination.

I know of a guy that tows relatively heavy with his 6.5L, and he runs 3.21s, something like 1800 RPM in overdrive will do 80 or 85 mph.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious. What makes you 3500 so heavy?
I have a F-450 with heavier frame, axles, suspension, tires and wheels equipped with a full skirted bed made from 3/16 tread plate steel that weighs 9300 lbs.
Unless your packing a aux fuel tank, welder or some other piece of equipment I'd think mine would weigh 500-700 lbs more than yours.

SVcummins
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bed is the main reason why and I?m carrying a
diesel air compressor a tool box a cab full of tools
and bed full of other tools wihen I had the bed off it
only weighed over 7000. Picture of it on the scale

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I weighed mine right after I got it together, tool box was mounted but no tools yet, I'm using the engine mounted compressor that came with the engine (bus engine), and mounted a couple air tanks under the frame. Would like to have another air tank for more volume,thinking about mounting one in the bottom of the cross bed tool box and putting a shelf over it for tools, the box is plenty deep and most times is a cluttered mess with stuff piled on top each other.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quite impressive.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are the air tanks For?

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 98 24 valve long frame two wheel drive ton dually gets a constant 13-15 MPG empty. I keep an accurate mileage log so these figures aren’t estimates. I’m not sure what the Dana 80 is geared at but I’m pretty sure it’s not a 4:11. It has a five speed and at 60 MPH in fourth which I assume is direct drive the engine is revving in the 2200 RPM range. I don’t use overdrive when pulling a heavy load but if I’m pulling it hard which isn’t often the mileage drops to 7 or 8.

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what I don't understand. Shouldn't the object of the Cummins people and Chrysler too be to continually improve their products? My old "93 12v
with over 500K on it still gets over 20 mpg empty, and has never gotten as little as 7 or 8 no matter how heavy the load was. So how is your "98 24V
an improvement? Plus it costs you 3 or 4 times as much as me to rebuild your pump, and over 14 times as much for a set of injectors. I just don't get
it. That's the reason I decided to put a "93 12v into a "94 Chevy dually. I'm just sick of all the new "improvements".

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Walter Buller wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:58:30 11/16/17) That's what I don't understand. Shouldn't the object of the Cummins people and Chrysler too be to continually improve their products? My old "93 12v
with over 500K on it still gets over 20 mpg empty, and has never gotten as little as 7 or 8 no matter how heavy the load was. So how is your "98 24V
an improvement? Plus it costs you 3 or 4 times as much as me to rebuild your pump, and over 14 times as much for a set of injectors. I just don't get
it. That's the reason I decided to put a "93 12v into a "94 Chevy dually. I'm just sick of all the new "improvements".

Walter I have asked my self that same question. Poorer mileage and a fussy sensitive and expensive injection pump. All I can think of is this was the beginning of lower emissions engineering and the early model 24 valve engines had flaws to be worked out. It’s still better than my 7.5 MPG 79 Power Wagon.

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Difference in fuel mileage in Dodge rear-end gears Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper: Sounds like you have 3.55 gears depending on your tire size, if they're 235x85-16's that around 31" tall.
Mine 19.5's are 32", I have 3.73 gears and mine runs 55 mph at 2200.
If your truck came with 215's the speedometer could be off just a little not showing all of the miles, but we're only talking a 2-3 miles per hundred.
Mine BIL has a 99 3500 24v auto, he claims he gets over 20 mpg, but he doesn't haul heavy, does a lot of interstate driving and drives like grandpa on a sunday afternoon cruise thru the neighborhood.
I tow heavy and often, only drove 15 miles on interstates in this truck since I got it, Mostly local roads with plenty of hills, hollows and curves here in central Ky. 13-14 mpg empty, 10-11 loaded, I think if I tune a little of the low end fuel out it may get up to 16 mpg empty and Id be good with that. It doesn't smoke bad but it is noticeable below 2200, above that it cleans up pretty good.

Walter: I have a engine mounted air compressor just like on big air brake trucks, I use the air for airing tires, running air tools and blowing off equipment out in the field. It comes in real handy but I only have two small air tanks that are only around 4.5 gallons each, this isn't a lot of volume when inflating rear tractor tires or operating a 3/4 drive air gun, another 8-10 gallon tank will double the volume and I'm thinking about mounting a automatic hose reel to get all of the loose hose out of the side box.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters