Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

PTO Generator

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm looking at an old Winco PTO generator - 18KW. Being sold on consignment but I talked to the former owner and they claimed it worked good the last time they used it - about 4 years ago. What goes bad with these and how can you test them to ensure they work (some where near their capacity before the lights go out?

hydro70guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had had one since i was a kid, dad bought it over 40 years ago. Only once needed fuses replaced and extra set was in fuse box its a pto type that gets used maybe once every other year but always does the job. You could fire it up if allowed and put a load on it. If not I would not be afraid of one anyway.

Joe

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You'll need to get a crossover switch set up on your service panel, and once that is done, you can act like the power is out by switching to the Winco, and test it out.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 7:26 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd at least see if you can turn it on and plug in an electric heater and a light see to if it works at all.

kcm.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you know the make and model of the generator, look up what it would cost to buy the same or similar generator new with warranty. I ran across one at an auction not long ago that was most certainly going to be mine! But then I looked it up online and found that they were selling for less than what I expected the used one to sell for. Both were Winco units. The one at auction looked like it hadn't been taken very good care of. So whether it worked or not became irrelevant to me when I found out how inexpensive a brand new PTO generator was. IIRC, they were 15Kw units.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As another said. Bring some power tools and heater and a good meter with the frequency readout. If the unit will not charge just plug in a good old fasion power drill with brushes in it. Pull the trigger and turn the chuck by hand. It will repolarize the generator and away she should go. The Hz meter reading will tell you where your throttle will need to be to get " line voltage". The frequency is the most important thing. The voltage can be plus or minus up and down but you must have 60hz. There is nothing as good as knowing you have your own power plant parked in the shed!!!!

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Winco has one of the best reputations regarding pto generators. I bought a new 25/45 kw in 1975...never had a repair on it. Hasn"t been run in years, but I"m sure it would juice up right now. I had the transfer switch installed on the main power pole, but also used it as a portable around the yard, to run hand tools.

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen a few that had the windings blow apart from running too fast (excess centrifugal force). Also bad regulators on some old ones. My 15 KW sometimes won't make any power when I first use it after storing for a year or so. Then all of a sudden, something clicks in and then it works fine. There are new generic regulators available to fix them.

oldproudvet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not be afraid of it. I've 12KW Winco bought used back in the early 80s after a tornado, followed by an ice storm took every pole in the county, it was weeks getting power back. Best investment I ever made. I purposely use my stick welder on it at least once a year. I built a small trailer that holds the generator, my welder and a 5 hp 220 air compressor. Nice little work unit, easy to move around the place. I use a digital VOM in the house to set the rpm when we have to use the thing. Just plug the meter into an outlet and read the voltage. The meter on the unit is fine, but by the time you run it through the transfer switch and into the buildings, you'll have voltage drop. My power comes in underground, fairly close to old granary with a lean to. Years ago we burned up a tractor during a winter storm, while running the generator it iced up the cowl/radiator and cooked. I've a cord from the transfer switch, I can park the tractor in the lean to, and I've a stove pipe up threw the roof I can lower over the tractor exhaust. Works slick..................

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is an online auction - no chance to actually test it before buying. I was wondering about a good "load" test after I bought it before I sell the 6.5KW that I've had sitting in the garage for years.

The power pole is set with a switch to go from power line to generator - but no cord. If I get this bought I will correct that shortly.

kevinthefixer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Oldproudvet EXCEPT that you should not set generator speed with a voltmeter! Use a frequncy meter and if you can set 60 hz under load. Your tractor's governor was not really designed to be stable enough for a generator but should do in a pinch. And if there's no pinch, what do you need a generator for?

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My old Generac has a volt-meter and that is how PTO speed is determined. Having a perfect 60 Hertz Cycles means little to me.
If the Hertz is off, and I am using my record player from the 1950s - I might notice. Or an old clock. That said - I do have
a Canadian 50 cycle record player.

NOT that I recommending this but . . One day we were running our house on my IH tractor and PTO generator. My son revved
the engine up. Lights in the house got very bright. I ran outside and looked at the voltmeter. It was at almost 140 volts. I
turned it back down, but everything in the house was fine. TV had been on, along with a desktop computer.

61-4010
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bought my 12kW Winco generator almost 15 years ago and LOVE IT! You'll need 2HP for every kW so 36 horses for this unit. I have my panel wired that allows me to feed the whole house panel SAFELY using an Interlock Kit. This way I don't have to play "breaker jockey" --- just need to be mindful of what I'm using inside since we're 100% electric.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Generators have a residual charge that can sometimes dissipate if left to sit for a long time. That is what the brushed drill trick described above addresses. The drill is acting as a generator and putting that residual charge back into the generator.

I bought a winpower 6/10 several years ago for $100, and the drill trick did not work. I ended up taking it to an electrical shop where they determined that it must have a burned/broken winding. Ended up scrapping it.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: PTO Generator Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:01:13 11/15/17) My old Generac has a volt-meter and that is how PTO speed is determined. Having a perfect 60 Hertz Cycles means little to me.
If the Hertz is off, and I am using my record player from the 1950s - I might notice. Or an old clock. That said - I do have
a Canadian 50 cycle record player. .

More likely to be a European record player at 50hz and a 1950’s vintage record player if 25Hz.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters