Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Help me identify a Ford backhoe.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Giddens
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:56 pm    Post subject: Help me identify a Ford backhoe. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just acquired a Ford backhoe. It was represented as a 4500, but I don't think he really knew what it was either. It has a 3 cylinder diesel, the number 4E31B stamped onto the left hand side of the bell housing, 5 speed manual transmission with a High Low. Assuming the rear wheels are original, the 16.9 X 24 tires on them seem too wide for the rims. The only place that has a trace of the model number shows me that it was a 4 digit number with a 5 as the second digit and a 0 as the forth. The engine is not the original for the machine, but how do I identify it. The tractor needs work and I just want to make sure to get the correct manuals and parts for it. Any help would be appreciated.

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a Ford backhoe. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The village fora while had an industrial Ford tractor they mowed
ditches with. It looked like your backhoe. Had the same loader
but had a 3pt in stead of the rear hoe. It was a model 340.

John730D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a Ford backhoe. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to the model #s you say you ca see, it is probably a 3550. Kind of a cross between a 3400 and 4500. Good old workhorse.

Sharkbait24521
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2017 9:53 am    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a Ford backhoe. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Robert Giddens wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:56:54 11/16/17) I just acquired a Ford backhoe. It was represented as a 4500, but I don't think he really knew what it was either. It has a 3 cylinder diesel, the number 4E31B stamped onto the left hand side of the bell housing, 5 speed manual transmission with a High Low.

Sounds like my story, 2000 with a loader, represented as a 3400. Sort of, but not exactly.

There are a couple of guys on the Ford discussion board that can set you straight on it all. They helped me a lot. good luck

Kyle in KY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2017 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a Ford backhoe. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

looks like a 4500.

jaluhn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Help me identify a Ford backhoe. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a 4500. 3500 or 3550 I think. That's a 735 loader, 4500 uses a 740. Tell tale is the hydraulic suction from the bottom of the loader frame and the power steering ram. 4500 has the hydraulic suction from a tank in the front of the hood and the power steering ram is in the front. 3500 uses the 4000 PS setup, 4500 uses the 5000 setup.

The backhoe should have it's own label plate on the side of the boom, should be something like 19-301. It's looks like a 755 or 753, doesn't really matter all that much since they're very similar. (13 vs 15ft rated) Main difference is ram sizes.

A picture of the rear axle would help ID it. 3500 will have drum brakes, 3550 as I understand it inboard disc brakes like a 4500.

It's a 3500/4500 series, and they're close enough to share a manual set so no real worries there.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters