Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IH 806 spraying oil out the left side

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ironandsteel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 3:59 pm    Post subject: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got my 1963 IH 806 put back together today (rebuilt the front end) and started her up for the first time in 2 years.

I had it idling for a few minutes and then it suddenly started gushing oil out of the left size like a garden hose! Fortunately I was able to shut it down fast.

It was blowing oil out a threaded hole- I think this is where the oil pressure sender goes- right? No idea why it decided to let go like this.

IHTimmy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep that where oil sending unit go

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil ending unit. Either you forgot to put it back in,or just started it finger tiht.

ironandsteel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tractor idled for several minutes before it blew. I don't recall having taken it out, but I must have. It wouldn't just unthread on its own.

Anyway, I've ordered a new one. They call this unit an oil pressure switch- so I guess it shorts to ground when oil pressure is low and lights a light? The dash panel on this tractor is all apart and I need to remember how it all goes back together.

ironandsteel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 01:59:17 11/22/17) Oil ending unit.

Oil "ending" unit is right! It just about put an end to the engine!

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:09 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use a 1/8" pipe plug(or grease jerk LOL) for temporary till the real thing comes in.

ironandsteel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:09:55 11/22/17) You can use a 1/8" pipe plug(or grease jerk LOL) for temporary till the real thing comes in.

Good idea- larger zerk fittings are 1/8" pipe thread and should fit.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would connect a mechanical gauge to that port to see what's going on.

If that tractor ran "a few minutes" with that port open and it took that long for oil to come out, my concern would be how long that engine is taking to build oil pressure, and how much oil pressure it is ultimately building.

ironandsteel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 6:41 am    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, it ran a few minutes before the sensor blew out. I'd estimate that it spewed oil for maybe 10 seconds before I got it shut down.

But yes, I will put a gauge on there.

ironandsteel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: IH 806 spraying oil out the left side Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Actually, all is well now.
It did, in fact, have a pressure gauge installed there, and I must have taken it out when painting, because I found the gauge in the shop.

So- yes, I must have started it with that hole open. What is weird is that I was standing on that side of the tractor when I started it and it must have taken several seconds for the oil to start spurting.

Today, I added oil, installed the gauge, and started it. The pressure came up to a normal level (around 50 psi) almost immediately.

So, I'll assume it is basically OK.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters