Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Size of tire on 6 wide rim

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 5:28 am    Post subject: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am replacing the front tires on a tractor that had old 16" pickup tires on it. The rims measure 6" bead to bead, can I put a 6.50-16 tires on or do I need to go to a 7.50-16 tires?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rule of thumb is 1 inch wider then the rims. If you look many tires will say right on them what size rim should be used with them

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:21 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With a rim thatwide a 7.50 is the smallest tire I would go with.I would waNT A 5" rim for a 6.50 tire Go talk to the tire professionals at your local farm tire store.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are no "professionals" at the local tire store.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While it may not be "by the book" there is absolutely no reason you can't put a 6.50 tire on a 6" rim. It will be a bit of a challenge to seat the bead if it's a tubeless tire, but if you throw a tube in there and lube the bead up good, it'll pop right on.

Yes, "ideally" you would want a 7.50 tire on that 6" rim but if saving a few bucks is important or you just don't want tires that large, then go for the 6.50.

DR. EVIL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That rule isn't quite right. Correct rim for a 10.00x16 is an 8 inch wide by 16 inch diameter. An 11.00x16 does follow your rule with a 10 inch wide 16 inch dia. rim. A 9.5Lx15 tire uses an 8 inch wide by 15 rim. 11Lx15 or 16 tire uses a 10 inch wide rim. 7.50 x 16 uses 6 inch wide rim. 5.50, 6.00 and 6.50 x 16 can use a 4 inch or 4-1/2 inch or 5 inch wide rim respectively.

Wider rear tractor tires always use a rim two inches narrower, and when available, a rim one in narrower is the first recommended alternate. Like an 18.4x34 or 38 uses a 16 inch rim but 15 is first alternate. Now a 20.8 tire doesn't have an alternate because there's no 17 inch rim. A 23.1 inch wide tire uses a 20 in wide rim, both 30 and 34 inch diameter. A 24.5x32 uses a 21x32 rim, 30.5x32 uses 27x32.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 10:20 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now day they hire who they can for the least $ per hour. Back when I worked in tire places you learned what should or should not have been done. I still do most of my own tire work including split rims.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These are going on a D17 so they will definitely have tubes. Although one of the pickup tires didn't have a tube (how'd they manage that).

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always refer to the Tire & Rim Association book for such things. Per the book the approved rim widths for 6.50-16 light truck tires ranges from 4.5 to 6.0 inches but for 6.50-16 tractor tires the approved widths are 4.0 to 5.5". Just because it isn't officially approved doesn't mean it won't work, though, especially for a slow-speed tractor application.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is that online?

Thanks for the information.

Brendon-KS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:23 am    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As far as I know it is not available on-line and if it were there for free someplace it would be a copyright-violating bootlegged copy. It is available for sale on the TRA website but the cost is a little jolting. I have an employer-provided copy at the office but probably refer to it as much for non-work-related stuff as much as I do as part of my actual job.

BarnyardEngineering
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For reference I put a 9.5L 14 on a 6" wide rim and wished I'd have gotten an 11L 14. The 9.5L tire I bought was barely wider than the rim!

Destroked 450
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2017 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Size of tire on 6 wide rim Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For a D17 I'd want a 7.50x16, 6.50x16 would be better suited for a D15.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters