Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

300U and 32 degree start.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 7:42 pm    Post subject: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally getting a chance to see if all the work I did last Spring did any good. Been starting well with temps in the 40s. Last night down in the 20s and 32 when I opened the shed. Tractor started first pull with open choke, then stalled a few seconds later. Repeated 3-4 times and then it would fire no more. So I gave it a whiff of starter fluid. It fired right up and kept running. I would like to improve on this if anyone has ideas. Hey, at least it will run now!!!

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use the choke.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ditto

Charlie M
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When its that cold you will need to leave the choke mostly closed after it starts and open it as the tractor warms up. Close it enough to keep the tractor running right each time you move it. It will take a few minutes to run smooth without any choke.

Tom Dowling
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

perfect example of the purpose of the choke

mattofvinings
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would also advise using the choke lever as an analog device with unlimited adjustment between the stops rather than a digital one at full out going immediately to full close. Start at full rod out and push it back in slowly, a little increment every couple of minutes.

In essence this is your air/fuel adjustment. Definitely need to run overfuel/rich for a reliable start in cold conditions. Especially with a carb- wet manifold system where there's this giant mass of cold metal which is efficiently condensing the fuel vapor back into liquid that coats the intake walls down thru the piston & head itself. Eventually by the time it gets to the spark, there is insufficient fuel vapor to support combustion in the chamber. So, the time tested method is to just send more vapor until the engine warms up.

MARK ROBKE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been starting mine since I was a kid,8-9 yrs old,in the winter.It has always been 6 volt.It might barely crank over,but,it will fire up after a revolution or 2.You have to leave the choke almost closed after it fires up at about 1/2 throttle.It might take several minutes of gradually opening the choke,depending on how cold it is,before it runs clean.
I have thought about enriching the fuel mixture so it is not so cold natured,but since it runs well after warm up,I never have.
When I was a kid on our dairy farm, we had a 340u also and it was my job to haul manure in the winter starting at age 9 or so.On frozen mornings I would start the 300u first(it was the loader tractor),leave it run on part choke, and then the 340u,which really did not need to be choked.Then I'd hook the 340u to the manure spreader and take it behind the barn.By that time the 300u was warmed up and ready to go.And I'd go load manure and spread it! This was starting in the mid'60s.Back then it had maybe 12 - 1500hrs and now it has over 7600hrs,still starts and runs the same.Mark

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is the sort of response you pray for when you ask a question here...all the same. So I have a lot of old equipment. I would say I am a pretty fair hand on the choke. Indeed I have been using the choke on this tractor. This consensus of opinion makes me thing that my choke is not working. I put a new cable on it last Spring because the old one had broken. I need to check tomorrow to see if the new one has come loose and stopped moving the choke. Appreciate all the responses! Hope everyone is enjoying a turkey dinner!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would check and make sure if it has the choke flap as part of the choke butterfly that is has a good spring on it. If that flap sits open due to a bad spring it does not choke like it should

Dave H (MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 300U and 32 degree start. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will Rich. Happy Thanksgiving!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters