Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nothingbutdarts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:18 pm    Post subject: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1962 Dexta 3 cyl. diesel with a SIMMS pump, I have looked thru what I have of a service manual for this unit trying to find out if the SIMMS injection pump is fed lubrication oil from the engine lube oil syst. or it the injection pump has it's own oil reservoir in it that needs changed?

I see in the injection pump rebuild section it says, after reassemble and before running the pump on the test stand to:

"Add engine oil to the cam box unit until it runs out of the oil level hole at the base of the pump"

I have look over the pump on the tractor and also have another injection pump I have to replace the one on presently on it since I believe the one on it is bad. For the likes of me, I can't find the fill hole or the level hole they talk about. Might someone be able to help me with this information??? I don't want to damage a good fuel pump!

I would also guess you would use regular engine oil in the fuel pump for this purpose.

I read thru the "LUBE" section of the manual and it says nothing about pressure lubrication to the injection pump.

Thank You!

Baffled in Colorado!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is there an oil line from a port in the engine block to the injection pump?

nothingbutdarts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Bob wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:30:56 11/23/17) Is there an oil line from a port in the engine block to the injection pump?

I do not think there is but, tomorrow I will look a lot closer!

Thanks!

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2017 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm NOT a Dexta person, but typically older in-line injection pumps that are oiled by engine oil have a little oil feed line from an oil galley in the engine block, and oil drains back to the crankcase the front area of the pump that mounts to the timing cover.

I DO NOT know if your Dexta is set up like that vs. having an oil fill port and an oil check port.

JDEM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:06 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I recall that injection pump has no lube connection to the engine. It has its own closed sump and you have to check it and
fill it once in awhile. Or - drain it when it fills with diesel and replace with motor-oil.

nothingbutdarts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You both very much, I will have to dig up some more information on how to drain and fill it.

SkipperII
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you post, or send me a clear picture of the side of your injection pump. I worked on the Major series, with Simms pumps, a lot, and might be able to help you.

nothingbutdarts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will try to post one this evening.

nothingbutdarts
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:33 am    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hope these turn out.

Deutz Lover
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 1962 Dexta SIMMS injection pump question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the Simms pneumatically governed pumps on the early Dextas do not have a dedicated oil fill plug. I was told by a reapair shop to put oil in these regardless so the only way I know how is to take off the lift pump or part of it and put it is there.

Normally the pump is lubricated by the diesel fuel that leaks past the plungers in the upper pump body, but I think this is not the most efficient or best way to lubricate the lower parts.

There is a drain. There should be a pig-tail pipe on the bottom of the pump body. Excess lubricant flows out of this overflow pipe to keep the level constant, so it appears that these were designed to use diesel fuel. I have checked three Simms Pneumatically governed injection pumps and all have the pig-tail.

I am thinking of drilling and tapping for a fill plug like in the Minimec pumps used in the super Dextas. I have a conversion Minimec p4596 pump I am going to check.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters