Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Head Gasket..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:18 am    Post subject: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll start a new thread on this.

I ordered a head gasket set from AGKITS for my D19 diesel. It came yesterday. My shop manual for the D19 mentions separate fire rings to place around the tops of the cylinders after the gasket is installed. I did this one once before, about 25 years ago, and that's the way I remember it.

The new gasket set has just a regular composition gasket with the usual metal inserts around the tops of the cylinders. Before I email AGKITS, does anyone know anything about this? Did they change the gaskets? A buddy of mine who farms and is into AC's wondered about it, also.

I've heard horror stories about guys replacing head gaskets and immediately having another leak. I obviously don't want to go down that road.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never had a head gasket of this type fail. Not even with a stroked crankshaft.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You mean without the separate fire rings?

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes! fire rings part of the gasket.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Better call them, I got one for my series 4 diesel they sent me the wrong one. Sounds like the one they sent me.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll call them Monday morning.

Thanks for the responses.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 4:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I emailed them, and the response I got was that this is the current design. Felpro shows part # 7805B for their head gasket for a D19, and it doesn't have the separate fire rings. Guess I'll try it and yell at someone if I have a leak. Don't know what others do, but I like to spray head gaskets liberally with aerosol Copper Coat before I install them.

BTW, I bought a cherry picker to pull this head gasket. I humped this same one years ago by hand, but I was much younger then. I was looking for an excuse to buy a cherry picker, anyway. HF had a 1 ton for $139 with a coupon, but the local store was out of them. Oerscheln's had a 2 ton, and discounts I had brought it down to $169, so for $30 more I got the 2 ton.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I emailed them and the response I got was this was the newest design. Also, this type is what Felpro shows for a D19. Guess I'll try it and yell at someone if I have a leak.

I bought a cherry picker to lift this head off and on. I've humped the head on this same tractor by hand years ago, but I was obviously considerably younger then.

Eldon (WA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket.. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Goose wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:02:27 12/09/17) I emailed them, and the response I got was that this is the current design. Felpro shows part # 7805B for their head gasket for a D19, and it doesn't have the separate fire rings. Guess I'll try it and yell at someone if I have a leak. Don't know what others do, but I like to spray head gaskets liberally with aerosol Copper Coat before I install them.

BTW, I bought a cherry picker to pull this head gasket. I humped this same one years ago by hand, but I was much younger then. I was looking for an excuse to buy a cherry picker, anyway. HF had a 1 ton for $139 with a coupon, but the local store was out of them. Oerscheln's had a 2 ton, and discounts I had brought it down to $169, so for $30 more I got the 2 ton.

I've heard the main thing is to make sure the liners are all the way down, and you still have the correct protrusion above the deck, IIRC .002"

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters