Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leroy in ne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mag switch has 1 terminal and grounds mag to kill ignition. battery switch has 2 terminals and feeds battery voltage to ignition coil. if battery was fed to mag it would burn out mag and run down battery among other things. a mag switch hooked to coil would keep engine from running and run down battery

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Magneto switch has one wire terminal and grounds the wire when pushed in. Distributor switch has two wire terminals and breaks the electric circuit when pushed in.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leroy notice how slow I type, didn't see a answer to post when I started and getting close to 3 minutes later when I noticed you had the answer covered.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sense some confusion her! A battery ignition would be the same as a distributor, a magneto would be different and have the one terminal switch, right?

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can use a distributor switch on a mag. You run one wire from mag to one terminal of switch and a wire from other terminal to a ground. I have did this several times till I could get the correct switch.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The IH mag & dist switches look the same except for one difference. The mag switch has one terminal and the dist. has two terminals.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If a IH distributor it would look like this picture on top. Round coil on top may look different from a replacement sometime. This battery ignition system has a wire from switch to coil terminal. other coil terminal has a wire to distributor. Magneto will have no coil on top and just one wire to ground magneto for shut down on a 42 model. You could run into a magneto someone rigged a external coil on or a distributor in a 12 volt system that has a resister in wire from switch to distributor. If so ask some more. 42 H came with a magneto but may be changed.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just looked at the ignition switches as advertised on this site and they show both switches, one for magneto system and other for DISTRIBUTOR (battery ignition). It does explain it pretty well so one should be able to determine which one they need.

The whole problem exists( and this is one of my often expressed pet peeves) because everyone seems to refer to a BATTERY IGNITION system as being a distributor. Well, if you look at the magneto used on these multi cylinder engines, you will clearly see that the magneto does indeed have a distributor on it. How else would you distribute the spark to the individual cylinders in the firing order. Many engines with magneto's or battery ignition do not have a distributor because either they are single cylinder engines, wasted spark engines, or individual ignition on each cylinder.

I think that if the parts were listed for magneto equipped or battery ignition equipped engines, there would be a whole lot less confusion for all involved. Not likely to happen though.

rgrimard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D.Slater Appreciate your helpful Photo that you attached, and the extra effort !!very nice.
I would say in comparing your attached photo that this is very similar to what my current configuration
looks like. I will re-visit my existing wiring from the switch to the Coil and/or Distributor and if it
looks good to me,,,,I will Search for a good Battery Ignition Switch, and go from there!!. This is
a Great Forum and everyone that has replied has helped me diagnose this issue...Thank you!!..Ron

rgrimard
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Pete.....can you send me the "Link" or "Topic" where the Ignition Switches were advertised on this site
so that I can also read the Explanation.
I copied your sentence from your rely.... "It does explain it pretty well so one should be able to determine which one they need"............thank you Ron

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just went the parts site right on left side of the page. It showed three different switches if I remember right, didn't look again now. One was universal and other two were replicas of original switch.

AlinMO
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Ignition Switch is either Battery or Distributor How?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rgrimard wrote:
(quoted from post at 06:01:45 12/06/17) Hi Pete.....can you send me the "Link" or "Topic" where the Ignition Switches were advertised on this site
so that I can also read the Explanation.
I copied your sentence from your rely.... "It does explain it pretty well so one should be able to determine which one they need"............thank you Ron

Here is the link to ignition switches, (H model here) . Page on down until you get to the ignition switches.http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/cgi-bin/store/model_parts.cgi?SearchArea=Farmall&&md=H&cat=Electrical%20System&r=mcats

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters