Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1020 power steering pump

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkuhns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 8:00 am    Post subject: 1020 power steering pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an early 1020 that had a hydraulic system contaminated with metal. The transmission screen had a whole in, and the main filter was being bypassed due to the cone at the bottom not holding the filter against the transmission case. So the metal went through the transmission, power steering pump, and main hydraulic pump. I have the rear apart to repair and clean as well as everything else. I'm replacing the trans and main hydraulic pump. The power steering pump is very expensive to repair, or if parts are even available. Is there any cost effective option to fix the power steering. The newer 1020's have a closed center steering unit. What all is involved in retrofitting from open center unit to closed center? Another option I thought of was using an aftermarket power steering kit. I could use the belt driven pump and reservoir and plumb to my existing open center column to make it work. They don't recommend their steering cylinder for loader tractors, plus their mount goes where my loader mounts. Any thoughts, help would be appreciated.

D-
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 power steering pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get salvage yard plumbing from later tractor.

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 power steering pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The simplest would be to try to get a salvage pump. To change to the newer style you will need the line to supply the column including the main line with the T by the brake pedal and the column/valves as the original is open center, the later is closed.
I would really discourage you from doing the add on system, but it is your tractor.

mkuhns
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 power steering pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What would you think about using the pump from the add on system and using the existing column. A used pump is around $800, columns are around $500-$600. I'm sure about any pump I get will be worn also, but probably not as bad as mine. I can get an add on kit for under $500 and just use the pump.

tomstractorsandtoys
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 1020 power steering pump Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would buy the used column and update to the later style. You can have someone who is good at brazing weld you a fitting in your existing line. I have a 1520 to do this winter that never had power steering and we bought a used column for it. You can get a column off a 1020,2020,1520,2030,2630,2440 and 2640. A late 2040 would work as well as many yellow tractors 300,301,302,400's ect. If the parts come off a three cylinder get the lines as well. Tom

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters