Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

1948 KB5 Grain Truck

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 10:21 am    Post subject: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just picked up a 1948 KB5 International Grain truck with a six cylinder Flat head engine. This truck been sitting outside for a long time with the hood open am not very optimistic about it running again. Will have a better outlook if it is not stuck and I can get the rusted off spark plugs out.

Would a 1954 235ci six cylinder Chevy engine be a good choice for a transplant. I have an extra engine that came out of a running pickup. In spite of all the gearing I want more power for what I want to do with this truck.Cleddy

shaun wallace
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 48 KB2 I had a 216 GRD in it. Have seen Ford 223 6cyl in one. What was done to make fit have no idea.

Duane WI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Chevy put the 235 in similar sized trucks to the KB5. I would expect it to work as well as the original IHC Green Diamond engine. I have a Chevy 235 in my KB1. Doing the swap is not a bolt in by any means.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:05 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with this kind of swap, its probably easier to get the 235 and its 4 speed transmission and put the whole thing in the ih, you will have some fab work to get it mounted, then make the change at the u joint of the driveshaft, if a conversion u joint wont get it done, a driveshaft shop can fab something to work between the ih driveshaft and the chevy transmission, your probably going to have to change that anyway , longer, or shorter, there may be a kit out to mount the chevy to the ih trans, but both units are long out of use, and finding one is going to be hard

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the information. That was exactly what I was hoping as a few years ago a body shop sold me the 1954 Chevy engine set up complete with clutch & transmission and it came out of a running pickup some one was turning into a Hotrod.

It looks like the mounts are similar with one in front & two on the sides. I sure modifying &welding will be involved which I can handle as long as the drive shaft will connect somehow?

This truck is back on six tires now after repairing 5 out of 6 of them. The engine does seem to be stuck so if ATF&Acetone soaking doesn't work to free it up,it is out of there.
I am more familiar with the Chevy engine since there are five in my collection and four that should run.cleddy

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on the driveshaft, they make what is called a conversion u joint, the cross and cups are longer, or bigger on one side than the other, you will; need to measure your ih shaft and what goes in the chevy trans, sometimes you cant get one of these in the correct dimensions,it will take a auto parts man who knows his stuff, if that doesn't work a driveshaft shop can fab something that will make the 2 pieces of driveshaft work for you,as with any swap prepare to have to either lengthen or shorten the shaft to make it work with the new engine and trans if you have to go that way you will need to tell them exactly how long the unit needs to be, dont forget to allow for the slip yoke to move

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can fine a 292 chevy, about same size as a 235, way more power, especialy if you don't have the 2 speed ax. But a older GMC 6 cyl is about 2 inches longer than a chevy

cleddy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: 1948 KB5 Grain Truck Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is a 292 a 6 cylinder? We had a 1961 Chevy impala engine that ended up in a 1960 Rambler which would of been okay if someone hadn't came along and broke all the windows out.

That 1961 Chevy engine runs like a top yet even though it hasn't been used since 1980 when it was parked in the trees.

This truck engine is definitely stuck and will not see any attempt to free it up until we get some break on temp's in Nebraska cleddy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Yesterday's Trucks All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters