Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

oliver 550, need some engine parts please.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi. I'm new here, my first post. I know nothing about these tractors, but it's been sitting for 15-20 years. Today I got a wild hair on my backside and thought I would try to get it running. I pulled the plugs, oiled the cylinders, aired up the tires and pulled it out with my truck. It rolled freely, so I had my wife put it in gear and pop the clutch just to get the engine spinning and free, which it did with ease. It shifts through gears, brakes and clutch all work! I need to build a wiring harness, get some battery cables & battery, make new plug wires, and overhaul the carb & fuel lines. I think thats it...lol. Any tips?

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:33 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i need the governor housing, and all the parts internally for it.

Brad Metcalf
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have those parts my email is open

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This site is kind of hard to navigate. lol

Where is your email?

You can also contact me at jparadiso426@gmail.com

Jshum40
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you want new reproduction parts, Korves Oliver in Southern Il.For used parts call Kent Gordan in Palestine, TX Both are very helpful. Korves Oliver Ph.# 618 9396681 Kent Gordon Ph.# 903 7298349 If you are into Oliver's, you may want to subscribe to the HPOCA Magazine. It has some really good articles plus a For Sale & Wanted Ads you can put in Free

SPMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Power steering is a big plus

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is the the complete service manual?

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Oliver-55-66-77-88-SUPER-550-660-770-880-Service-Manual/330362809519?hash=item4ceb286caf:g:vnQAAOSwAFBZqbRs

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yesterday I cleaned the carb, it was spotless inside. I flushed out the radiator with hot water, got all the rusty sludge out of it, found a couple pin hole leaks I'll take care of. Cleaned out the fuel tank, also no rust, just a broken stick I had to fish out of there. lol. Hooked up power, the starter works and spins freely, got power to the coil and spark at the plugs! I checked the compression, 3 cylinders had 150 psi, the other about 70...so today I'll pull the rocker cover, verify if everything is working.

I tried to start it up, still no luck, I don't think fuel is getting to the cylinders, or maybe it is, it'll pop every once and a while.

[img]https://image.ibb.co/hOtFEb/IMG_1823.jpg[/img]

[img]https://image.ibb.co/nGxaEb/IMG_1820.jpg[/img]

[img]https://image.ibb.co/didRLG/IMG_1821.jpg[/img]

coshoo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm curious about the color- They labeled some of the Olivers as Cockshutts back in the day, and that is close to the Cockshutt color, but then saw the Oliver banner on the hood, and it has obviously been there a long time. Maybe an industrial model? But front axle looks stock. Oh, well, whatever.
Don't know if it matters, but I think that grill is off of a D series Allis Chalmers. Find the serial number, and get in touch with Kent in Texas to get the correct one. Early ones had horizontal bars, later ones were "egg crate". He'll know by the serial number, and will probably have a good supply of both styles.
Looks like a good find- sheet metal is decent, will probably run without too much trouble. Keep pulling them out of the fencerows, boys, we can't save them all but every one we can keep from the crusher is a step in the right direction.

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I got it running, only for a few seconds, which was all I needed to let me know all is good. The coil was hooked up backwards and some plug wires were switched around. I did a compression test, all cylinders got 150 psi. I took off the oil pan and timing cover to verify no governor parts were at the bottom, which there was! Lol. Now that everything is good, I went ahead and ordered a whole bunch of parts like radiator hoses water pump thermostat, coil cap rotor wires and points. And that big service manual. The radiator is at a shop getting recored.

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:25 pm    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My destroyed governor.

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone know where to get this felt seal that goes behind the crank pulley?

[img]https://image.ibb.co/f8X4Zb/IMG_1895.jpg[/img]
[img]https://image.ibb.co/jQhSnw/IMG_1896.jpg[/img]

[img]https://image.ibb.co/n3tBEb/IMG_1897.jpg[/img]

mopardude318
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

X-Y switch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: oliver 550, need some engine parts please. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like you got the timing cover off without doing a Z split. How did you do that ?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters