Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Wide front casting SC

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:53:00 12/06/17) Here's the brazing job. Craters of the moon.

Looks like you need a little less heat and more brass. It also looks like you didn't keep the flame moving in a circular motion. You can grind out the bad spots and try it again. Other then a few thing I mentioned you did a pretty good job. Just don't be afraid of using lots of brass rod while brazing.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks so much for the advise. This is my first rodeo with heavy casting. I was not circling much. Now that you mention it, circling is important. The memory needed to be jogged a bit. LOL Here is the final finish.

I ground it down feathered the edges and hit it with the needle scaler. With a coat of paint it might fool a few people if they don't look too close.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It looks a lot better after you cleaned it up. Be sure to post a picture of it after you paint it and put it back together. Was the owner alright with the repair you did, or does he still want a replacement? I think your repair will hold up alright. If the part cracks it will be in a different spot.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The picture doesn’t show it but I did leave it slightly raised. I haven’t talked to the owner. I’ll show him the casting after a paint job and let him decide what to do. Finding a good unbroken casting that someone wants to let go of will be very hard to do. I have a hunch an unbroken casting will have small cracks starting unless it’s a NOS part. The casting is only 1/2” thick in the area that tends to crack.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One coat of epoxy primer and one coat of
power red. Couldn't readily find flambeu in
a good quality paint. Will have to wait for
it to dry to see if there is a difference.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Fixerupper wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:35:33 12/07/17) One coat of epoxy primer and one coat of
power red. Couldn't readily find flambeu in
a good quality paint. Will have to wait for
it to dry to see if there is a difference.

A coat of paint will cover a multitude of sins.
The only way to tell there was a repair made on the bolster, is that the repaired portion is smoother than the rest of the casting. Now you can add this to your résumé of skills.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Well, here it is Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's put together now. The heating shrank it a bit. I had to use a sanding wheel to ream it to get the bolster to come down on the front end without pounding on it. I figured putting it together extra tight is inviting another crack to start. Thanks so much for the encouragement and advice. Next time I will use less heat, more rod and do the swirling. There's nothing as good experience.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters