Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Oliver 2255

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliverkid
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 2255 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tend to agree with you. Last fall I bought what appeared to be a pretty worn out ok 4-150 pretty cheap at an auction. Never had any experiance with the 3208 other than all the rants you see about them on this site. Poor old tractor was owed by one of them people that shouldn't be allowed to own tools, I won't go down the list of all the stuff we found wrong, broken, cobbled and all around farmer fixed. Had to track down a few issues with the injection system, and fix some oil leaks but I'm here to tell you when we finally got it right, boy it got right. That thing is one running s.o.b now. I will also add that thing is one of the best cold starting diesels I have ever seen, it can be below freezing and a wind chill outside and all you have to do is crack the throttle open and hit the key and it won't turn over more than once and it's running, every time! They are a pretty easy motor to fall in love with once you get to working with them.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2017 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 2255 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If that's all you're doing with it and have the chance to get one,by all means,grab it. They're a neat,big old piece of iron.

gary66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:28 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 2255 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wow Larry...I'd swear someone is using your screen name...people have a way of communicating same as a finger print and these few post don't seem to match with the Larry that's posted on here before... LOL

do I detect a little rye in these responses?

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 2255 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had 3208's in trucks. Never had a problem with them. Put thousands of miles on them. Would not let a 3208
cat motor steer me away from buying it.

Oliver 500 Wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Oliver 2255 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Place I retired from had a Cat V250 forklift with a 3208 in it. Never had a bit of trouble with the engine in ~20 years running it. We bought it used from a sawmill so it was used pretty hard and no telling what sort maintenance it had, but we took pretty good care of it. My only experience with a Cat V8 but based on that, I'm OK with them.

Adam Suess
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2017 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Oliver 2255 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've run a 2255 with the 3150 engine for 20 years. It's been good to me. They are a solid tractor if in decent shape. How good of a tractor really depends how it's been maintained. Make sure it shifts through
all the gears ok. All the fluids are ok and evidence that they have been maintained. The hydraulic oil and rear end lube are different compartments. Check the rear end oil 80w-90 at the upper plug on the right
side of the pto housing. Should be at or no more than a few inches below the top plug. The trans lube filter is on the left side of the transmission housing and it's age can be a clue as to the past
maintenance. Same for the 3 speed unit just behind the engine. The dip stick is on the left side. The oil should be clean. Each planitary should be half full. These are the common items I find don't get taken
very good care of on these. The cat engines are ok. A few things I've learned to look for are evidence the bearings have been changed. This is recommended every 3,000 hrs or so. There sensitive to bad
injectors. Especially if it's been sitting around a bunch. A bad injector can burn a hole in a piston real quick. When you start it cold use a temp gun or feel the manifold to make sure all cylinders fire and
listen for any miss fire. The problem with 2255's is they have become so collectable they have gotten a bit over priced in my opinion. If your not concerned about collect ability a 2-135 or 2-155 are cheaper
and have nicer cabs. Nothing wrong with a 2255 though. I still use mine all the time.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters