Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

IXB-3 Engine Head Gasket

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KV Bruce
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:29 pm    Post subject: IXB-3 Engine Head Gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finished the overhaul of my 1947 IXB-3 (in a BF Avery A model). I installed the head gasket clean but dry. Torqued cold to 35 ft lbs. (did not re-torque when warm, my bad). It leaked coolant into the oil. I am pretty sure the head is flat, real sure the block is flat. When I replace the head gasket should use a sealant? What product? I will re-torque after a warm up this time. Thanks for your consideration.

J. Schwiebert
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2017 6:10 am    Post subject: Re: IXB-3 Engine Head Gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MAKE Sure you use some sealant on the head bolts as some thread into the water jacket. MY e-mail should be open.

John Deere D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: IXB-3 Engine Head Gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MAKE Sure you use some sealant on the head bolts as some thread into the water jacket:

Apply sealant with a NON METAL tool thinly such as a "Credit Card" on both sides of the gasket etc,:

I use this sealant on all heads and blocks that are not refaced:

Picture is for example purposes:

Bob...

KV Bruce
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2017 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: IXB-3 Engine Head Gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Bob,
I ended up using the Permatex spray on the head gasket and their thread sealer on the bolts. Did a hot re-torque and drove it almost 5 miles to and from our town's Christmas Parade. I really have learned quite a few things on this site. (better reading than the news!!) Thanks to all again.

Juicybusa2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: IXB-3 Engine Head Gasket Reply to specific post Reply with quote

According to all my sources Ixb3 head torques to 45 lb ft

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Lesser Known Classics All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters