Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone

View previous topic :: View next topic  
used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:15 pm    Post subject: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently discovered this issue that punctuation I post with my iPhone does not transfer well between Classic and Modern view. Any comments on this from YT support. See my link to the test forum.
On Modern can I just paste a link in the text box?
http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?p=8546324#8546324

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope, l’ll have to figure that one out. Always posted in Classic.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This problem occurs from using extended character sets. They take up more than 8 bits per character (they require twice the space). Classic is totally standard ascii only. It's 1990s or so software.

The key to not having this happen is to not use more modern characters. For example, use of regular quotes at both ends of a word, rather than left and right quotes. Phones unfortunately, like to do some of those things for you. I will experiment with my iphone but I think it's a given that the phone will pick more modern characters when quoting or adding apostrophes. Might be a way to tell it not to from the software side, (like invisibly tell the phone, "don't send extended character sets") but I am not currently aware of how.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:39 am    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did a bit of studying on this. It looks like we may be able to tell the phone browsers to stop sending these modern versions of the characters and that would be a stop gap to keep Classic from destroying the characters sent. It will unfortunately put a limitation on Modern View of not receiving the modern character sets correctly. I'll do some tests and see what happens.

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That’s weird and a bit disheartening. I just typed a 100-150 word reply to this thread. None of my text came through. I suspect it had something to do with me attempting a trial link in the middle of the text. I’ll have to get this Modern side figured out. YT Support thank you for looking into this punctuation issue!

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are doing something you suspect might not work, try hitting preview and looking at the result, then if it fails, you can hit the browser back arrow and retrieve your text.

If a link caused problems, that would indicate it could be a spam checked link because normally you can paste them in. That is how I do it. As an example:

http://www.tractorshed.com/cgi-bin/photoads/classifieds.cgi

I just had that in my paste buffer and pasted it.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at the text of your blank message. I think it got bounced on modern because it looks like spam. The "link" is actually most of the message which is going to look rather odd. If I understand the problem, you are trying to figure out how to do links in modern.

Just press the URL button, I'll do that here with your link from that message: http://forums.yesterdaystractors.com/viewtopic.php?t=1337710%3Cbr
Paste the link then press "Close Tags". It can go anywhere in the message.

YTSupport
Site Admin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the punctuation issues, I'm able to reproduce the problem on my phone. We will have to put a header in to modern view to tell the phone to stop using extended character sets, it invites it right
now even though Classic can't render the result correctly. That explains why these seeming gibberish posts are popping up nowadays. The phones (or at least the iphone, that is all I have to test
with) are defaulting to it. If you use a quote or apostrophe, it inserts a multi-byte character rather than the normal one. I'll try to do more experimentation tomorrow.

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was some kind of fix for this initiated? Today even uploading my post previews is slow from my iPhone, maybe just a high traffic day for the site. Also a couple times in Classic when trying to preview after a 30 second or so wait a error message popped up saying my ...email was the wrong format...FYI the problem is still happening. Trying to post this in Modern since it doesn’t want to upload my post in Classic.

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: Punctuation issues when posting with iPhone Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Obviously, worked Thank you!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Site Comments All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters