Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

hard to start withour either

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ether is for dire emergencies , not for regular use.
Is there a block heater?
I'll ask a question that has never been answered here in 15+ years but will indicate if there is a battery, cable , starter and slow cranking rpm problem. " What is the voltage measured while cranking between the main battery cable stud on the starter and the starter body" ?
As previously stated, check the valve lash and injection pump timing.
Are you holding the clutch down while cranking?
Which make and model of a 4000 ?

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 05, 2017 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One overdose of ether will break the top rings & it will need ether to start every time after that.

thepumpguysc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 3:11 am    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can ADVANCE it, NO MORE than 2* [1 line]
Rotate it OPPOSITE the arrow on the name plate.
IF it doesn't help, move it back.

massamoo14
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

clockwise or counter clockwise?

thanks

Mo

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

operators manuals for a couple of my Cat diesels recommends a small shot of either (2 sec max)to help starting when cold out, but says never to use ether if you have glow plugs
One dozer has an ether injection system built in with a push button to operate it.

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Deere put automatic ether-injection systems on some machines. Automatically injects ether when it gets below a
certain temp. Having it certainly did not void warranty considering it was a Deere option, factory installed. It is what
is called "moderation" I guess. My point being not just used in emergencies. Normal to use in extreme cold in DI engines
when no electric is available to run a block heater. That are an expensive propane-fired, or diesel-fired block heater.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 06, 2017 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:38:55 12/06/17) John Deere put automatic ether-injection systems on some machines. Automatically injects ether when it gets below a
certain temp. Having it certainly did not void warranty considering it was a Deere option, factory installed. It is what
is called "moderation" I guess. My point being not just used in emergencies. Normal to use in extreme cold in DI engines
when no electric is available to run a block heater. That are an expensive propane-fired, or diesel-fired block heater.

A controlled metered factory installed ether system is not frustated Bubba hand bombing a can of ether. While in a hurry trying to start a balky diesel that should have had the block heater plugged in.

Frank A
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My vote is the injectors not spraying a fine enough spray.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:42 pm    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ether helps get ME get going in the AM...!!

fred goodrich
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I second the starter just went through it with a 4500. Send your starter out to a good shop they will tell you what the condition is.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2017 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: hard to start withour either Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-JDEM wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:38:55 12/06/17) John Deere put automatic ether-injection systems on some machines. Automatically injects ether when it gets below a

Many Fords came factory equipped with ether injection as did my 2003 4900i International with C-15 Cat.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters