Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plowboy1972
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick L. I heard you are familiar with the model b. I recently purchased a 49 with a CE low octane motor that was rebuilt. It runs well with 99lbs compression across all cylinders. Any tips on improving performance for tractor pulling? Also any tips on tire pressure for different tracks?

Thanks

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 am    Post subject: Re: New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do the pistons move freely in the cylinders? I once tried to assemble an engine and found the block had been bored to EXACTLY the cylinder specs with no allowance for piston clearance. I had to hone the cylinders myself to get a couple of thousands clearance, whatever the spec was.

That being said, and without even knowing the model of tractor or other information, there are so many possible errors it's impossible to know where to start. I would assume everything has been lubed with assembly lube while it's being assemble.

kenbob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:11 am    Post subject: Re: New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My two cents: My brother and I overhauled his 1956 ford 223 6 engine in car. We were working in a not well lit garage. When we started putting the rod caps back on, it was a lot easier to see the fomoco stamp on the bearings than the finely stamped numbers. So after we put in two we noticed the fomoco stamps were on one side of the bearing cap so we used that as our guide to replace the rest as it was easier to see. Well even before we put the head on we tried to turn it and we could not turn it even with a breaker bar. Took bearing caps off only to find the fomoco stamps were not all stamped on the same side of the cap. (Not even sure how or why that was possible) Got a flashlight and reading glasses (which I should have had on from the start) and put them back with the numbers aligned and it spun right over.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are using used bearings over that had no problems WHY SHOULD YOU HAVE TO CHECK CLEARANCE? They should have same clearance as when taken out and everything was good. So why measure?

jd36a
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Checked with him and I was off by 1 year as it is a 1962 version. The model is a D14 and he said the size was a 149.

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: New pistons and sleeves too tight for starter to turn Reply to specific post Reply with quote

He's got a connecting rod turned around or a piston pin dragging against a cylinder wall.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters