Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tysmobiletractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:44 pm    Post subject: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an old Fordson Super Major that I got running. I really like this tractor. But it does have a miss. It starts easily. I really want to identify why it has this miss. But haven't been able to pin it down. I flushed out the fuel tank. It has a decent looking filter on it. I even cracked the lines to each injector and let it spray for a bit trying to ID a bad injector....But nothing obvious from that.
ANy suggestions?
Thanks

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have the Super with the vacuum governor check the valve clearances, if you have a New Performance Super with a Minimec pump again check the valve clearances but also check the push rods on any valves with an extra wide gap.

Also look for bent pushrods especially if your engine has a decompressor that has be used for starting.

New Performance Supers 1963 to 1964 had heavier valve springs and would wear the cam followers causeing the push rods to develop a pointed end. They will also wear the bottom off the cam follower and the lobes off the camshaft.

Carolinagator
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:16 am    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it smoke? What is the compression? Has it been ether started much?

tysmobiletractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a June 1963 serial number.
# 961817
I assume that's in the Super Major range.
I checked the valve clearances and they are all very close to tolerance.

Thanks for your thoughts.

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, it's the last version of the Super Major. How are you making out with the miss?

tysmobiletractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Haven't had a chance to look deeper into this.
I plan to pull the fuel lines off the injector pump and turn it over and compare the fuel flow. Just to try looking into that before I pull injectors.

Any thoughts, appreciated.

I really like this old girl, and want to get it running better so I can move on to other things on my list.

Im getting spring fever!!!

JLMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to try some Stanadyne or similar quality diesel conditioner in it.

Jeffrey9191
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-tysmobiletractor wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:44:52 10/17/16) I have an old Fordson Super Major that I got running. I really like this tractor. But it does have a miss. It starts easily. I really want to identify why it has this miss. But haven't been able to pin it down. I flushed out the fuel tank. It has a decent looking filter on it. I even cracked the lines to each injector and let it spray for a bit trying to ID a bad injector....But nothing obvious from that.
ANy suggestions?
Thanks

I would check it like this.. with the engine running loosen up each injector line one by one. The one that makes the least difference in running could be the problem. Just like you check a spark plug wire. Wear safety goggles. Even just a little air in fuel can have you pulling your hair out.

tysmobiletractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:15 am    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it running good.
It was a worn half moon key connecting injector pump to shaft.
It had play. I replaced it with a new key, and also used job weld in the key slot to tighten up the fit.
???????? Nothing better than a fix for under $10!
Now I can move on to smaller issues knowing engine is fine.

tysmobiletractor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:16 am    Post subject: Re: Super Major has a miss....how to i.d. and fix? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it running good.
It was a worn half moon key connecting injector pump to shaft.
It had play. I replaced it with a new key, and also used job weld in the key slot to tighten up the fit.
Nothing better than a fix for under $10!
Now I can move on to smaller issues knowing engine is fine.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters