Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Compression check on WD45?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEK1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:31 pm    Post subject: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Allis WD45 1955 that I have had for 15 years and use it about 20 hours a year. The machine runs real good and strong. It does smoke a bit when cold but tends to go away when warmed up.

Today I ran a compression check on all engine cylinders and got like 145 PSI out of every one. That is way more than what I would have expected. Does that sound right for wd45?

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WD-45 gas cranking compression is 130 psi as per A-C specs. The D-17 engine was 145 psi. So, it either has D-17 pistons/sleeves or maybe M&W pistons/sleeves. On a side note, WD-45 LPGas pistons were the same as D-17 gas pistons/ sleeves. Anyway, a WD-45 was kind of a tiger anyway, but when they were up-rated to this compression they were really mean for their size !!!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To me that says you have an engine that tis still in good shape. If I where you I would try a quart of ATF in 5 gal of gas and see if the smoking when cold goes away because that could be as simple as rings sticking or carbon build up

DrAllis
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Probably the best thing that could happen is to hook it onto a plow or disc and work it for a couple of hours. Maybe hook a loaded wagon or trailer behind it and go for a 20 mile drive at full throttle. I have a feeling the spark plugs could be changed to one heat range hotter for the way it gets used ?? Like AC Delco 46-S instead of 45-S ??

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just to let you know I have found the NGK 3112 plugs work a whole lot better then the champ and AC or auto lite plugs do. I run them in my ford and A/C tractor and they have made a big difference as to how quickly they foul or not. I have a WD45 that would foul plugs and it has yet to foul the NGK3112s I put in

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Even though the engine never had valve seals, a set installed on the intake valves will probably eliminate the smoke at start-up..and they are cheap..

Brian G. NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Compression check on WD45? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not many repair manuals give the compression pressure of an engine but rather recommend comparing the pressure between cylinders.
However, the WD-45 "Owners" manual shows a compression pressure of 125 PSI for the gas engine.
Based on that, I would say the stock pistons have been replaced with something like D-17 or LP gas.
I bet she "barks" very nicely!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters