Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Grill dents

View previous topic :: View next topic  
plowhand
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:42 pm    Post subject: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I may have this posted in the right forum now..can these dents be repaired and smooth without bondo..

Jim in rush co
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

plowhand, If you can find an old bodyman that is good working metal they could. Most bodymen now days have no clue how to work metal. It will take a lot of time and most guys restoring won't want to pay for time involved. Picture is of my 1955 TO 35, it has no bondo and was almost as bad as yours. If you were closer and I were 25yrs. younger I'd do it for you!

plowhand
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your offer and help..

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will need a little bondo or a lot of primer to completely level out the surface. It can be hammered out very close but if you just paint it as is there will be some irregularities showing. Bondo is just a lot easier to level the surface. It may be only as thick as several coats of primer. That little isn't going to hurt anything.

HillsideFarm1932
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can pull out the smaller bars by slipping a piece of copper electrical wire behind and looping it back out then twisting the two ends together. Leave the casing on the wire. This then gives you a handy "puller" that you can slide back and forth on the bar you're working on. Use a straight edge on the entire grille top to bottom to check the alignment as you go. Lots of patience, some basic tools for metal working are all that's needed. Fortunately the sheet metal on these old tractors is very malleable so it's easy to work with. Lots of tutorials on YouTube that can save a lot of headache by watching how others successfully accomplished exactly what you are looking to do.
Don't worry too much if you need a little bondo to get it "perfect" every new car has it somewhere under that pretty paint!

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How are you at woodworking? I made two blocks for the Oliver grills. One fits inside the bars,the other on the outside. Hit one and knock it in to the other.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2X what Randy said. It is a method that is very good for the amateur.

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2017 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The right top of this grill was hit in the seam, seam spot welds split and pushed in, a small hole and some bars bent. I had a body hammer, two dollies, made a tool out of key stock to fit the small ribs, made another to fit the wide bars and cut a slot in it to fit the back side of the broken seam. I just laid the grill on a piece of 3/4 " plywood worked it out when I felt like it, little bit here and there, wasn't fast. It's got a little bondo though.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sundahl's make tools that help straighten the grille bars.www.sundahltooling.com

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It can be done, but it takes more patience than most people have since plastic filler came into use.

Back in the days before plastic filler, and when the back side of body parts was easily accessed, body men used a tool called a "bulls-eye" to tap out small dents. I haven't seen one, or seen one used, in years, but I think I have a pic of one somewhere.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Goose wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:31:14 12/27/17) It can be done, but it takes more patience than most people have since plastic filler came into use.

Back in the days before plastic filler, and when the back side of body parts was easily accessed, body men used a tool called a "bulls-eye" to tap out small dents. I haven't seen one, or seen one used, in years, but I think I have a pic of one somewhere.

Eastwoods promotes the bulls eye.

Jim in rush co
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Goose, I was taught body work before bondo type filler was even around . My teacher started bodywork in the 1930s. We used bulls-eye pick tools and had about 5 different lengths and shapes of them, some would reach the middle of car or truck roofs. I was taught frame straitening by a fellow that went to Bear Frame School in 1946 and worked around and with him for 30+ years. We also used Chicago Pneumatic fender irons (kind of like a hand held trip hammer) it had different hammer and anvil heads for them depending on shape of the part being worked and the metal was lubricated with oil. I worked on a lot of 1940s and up cars and trucks using these tools. They would not be of much use on modern stuff made today. I used lead filler when needed for more than 25 yrs. In using the lead we also used a LOT of asbestos.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Harbor Freight sells the hammer and dolly set for body work. That set and a lot of time you can get it close.

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Grill dents Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot do it but I have seen dents removed with the torch. By working the flame just right the dents can be shrunk back to non noticeable. The person that showed our tractor club was a club member but had a body shop that worked on the hundred thousand dollar antique cars. He has passed on by now.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters