Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Headlamp amp draw and fuses

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinv123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 4:56 pm    Post subject: Headlamp amp draw and fuses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a '52 Ferguson T030, all original condition. 6v, NOT converted. Runs, starts, drives in perfect condition. Head lights didn't work but the system is simple so I gave it no thought.

Had some time to troubleshoot and found an in line fuse holder and a blown 30a fuse. Put a new one in and same result.

PO has several crimp style butt slice connectors and the rear work light all wired on the same circuit (according to the schematic in the manual this is original ). I removed the work light but suffered the same result.

Next up is rewiring the headlights to remove the splices, unnecessary spade connectors, any possible shorts, corrosion, etc.

All 3 lights are confirmed 6v. Battery is 8v.

I have 3 questions;

1) current wires are 10 ga. Is this correct?

2) Schematic not clear on presence and or size of fuse. No mention in any specs or text of either size or presence. Did it have one originally? If so any idea of capacity?

3) How much amperage do the headlights draw? Anyone know the wattage of 6v sealed beams? Generic Web search says 30 watts so I think 5 amps each. Correct?

Kevin V.

Steve@Advance
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp amp draw and fuses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 10 ga wire will work, but doesn't need to be that big for lighting. Could use 12 or 14 ga, easier to work with, neater. There may have been 10 ga on the generator armature, and regulator battery terminal.

Not sure about the fuse. I've seen a fuse built into the light switch on some. Would not hurt to have one though, especially on the light circuit. A 20 amp would work.

You are correct on the lamp amps.

Sounds like there is a short to ground somewhere if it instantly blows fuses. Could be a pinched wire, mouse chewed, burned. I would disassemble each light down to the lamp base. Could be original wiring inside that has completely lost all insulation.

Charles in Aus.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp amp draw and fuses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would add that the cause of strange shorts can often be the fault of the switch . Try isolating it and using bare wires to open and close the circuit to confirm or eliminate it as a cause .

kevinv123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp amp draw and fuses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick replies. I am going to re-wire with 12 ga. with a fuse. As for the switch, I did give that some thought too.
I might wire in a temporary to remove that as a variable.

Mule Meat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Headlamp amp draw and fuses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

52 Should be a Positive Ground system.

Could someone along the line wired it up backwards causing a shorted system?

kevinv123
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2017 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Headlamp amp draw and fuses Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Mule Meat wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:19:04 12/29/17) 52 Should be a Positive Ground system.

Could someone along the line wired it up backwards causing a shorted system?

Not so far as I can tell. Re-wring the circuit later today and tomorrow.

As for the battery yes it is still positive ground.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters