Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

806 alternator draining battery

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will tell ya one more thing here on the wiring on a 806 , pull the hoods and check the main harness where it goes over the heat shield in ft. of the fuel tank . More then once i have found where the wires ware thru or short out INSIDE the harness in that area , sometimes the field wire gets into the main hot wire and it can cause the alt. to full field and over charge or drain the battery . Now as for a regulator i have been using a solid state one . Now as to the size of alt. on a 806 65 amps is more then enough as that will run everything even extra lighting . Also here if that main harness is bad i make up a new one and for the main wire i upgrade to and 8 Ga. from the alt. to the starter , depending on what all is on this tractor and if it is gas or diesel determens how many wires run thru the main harness . The FACTORY wire ends are of the Delco 56 sires and can be found at several places , myself i get all my wiring supplys from Terminal Supply and the branch i use is in Cleveland Ohio. I can get better wire of all colors and ga. size and the wire ends in bulk to cover the 14-16 and 10-12 in the 56 sires , I also get much heavier reg wire ends there then ya can find else where . Ya want to get fancy they have the Org loom to put the wires in . They also have the plug in connectors for most of what is on and I H tractor . Before warm weather arrives i will make my yearly trek up to restock .

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I got a new Delco and put it in. Just going by continuity I now have the circuit to ground on the #1 spade and the #2 spade is completely open."

Do you have a 3 wire or 1 wire regulator? I just replaced regulators in 2 of my alternators and got 3 wire regulators on ebay for under $10 apiece. On both I read about 5.8K ohms to ground on #2 pin and 40 ohms to ground on #1 pin. What range are you using on your ohmmeter?

Attached diagram shows 2 parallel resistors in series with another resistor from #2 to ground. No values are given on diagram, but 5.8K sounds reasonable. R6 from #1 to ground is 40 ohms and it's sole purpose is to provide a ground path for the idiot light.

Do you have a known good 3 wire alternator you could try? That might be easier than chasing all the rabbits.

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This post is getting a little old but I hope you are still referring back to it. Here is another thought on this. I think you said in an earlier post that you replaced the regulator in this alternator. Not questioning your mechanical ability but did you place the non-insulated bolt in the right position? Look at the video in the link go to the 5 minute mark. The non-insulated screw is in the 8 o’clock position which is the screw that is nearest the stator or outside of the alternator case. Not sure if this would cause your issue, but I know it will not work correctly if the non-insulated screw is swapped into the position of an insulated one. Also, note I am not suggesting you follow the suggested modification shown in the video it was just a place I found a clear picture of what I wanted to address. Video link https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=_DEXHd7v5kc

Bob21 Martin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is three wire. Battery post/sense wire (#2)/excite wire (# 1 with idiot light).

I just have the 1k setting on the meter. The #2 spade on the new volt reg is completely open and the #1 is 1250 ohms. That alternator is assembled, but hasn't been ran yet. This is the one draining the battery, had it checked = passed, changed the regulator.

I have a second alternator that I changed the regulator in. I had a marked Delco for that one. I have about the same readings on that one. The number two spade moves the needle slightly, you have to watch it really close.

Neither of these are known working for everything, yet.

Bob21 Martin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a good point Used Red. I double checked that. I found a difference in the regulators that may account for the wrong spade being grounded. We'll see when I get things together. This subzero weather here is hanging me up a little. Thanks again, Bob

Bob21 Martin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:49 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just wrapping up this round:

I changed the voltage regulator to a Delco and have a diode in the excite wire. That stopped the test light from coming on at the battery to ground. This is with the battery ground strap off and the test light between the neg post and the frame. It charges fine with the jumper from the battery feed wire to the # 2 spade at just under 15 volts into a single 12 volt battery.

Still I have the 13 volts at the break of neg post to ground where the test light was. That still goes to zero removing the #2 spade connection. The ammeters I have aren't picking up any drain in terms of amperage. I understand this is the actual current, but I still can't figure out the voltage I'm showing at the battery/ground. It seems that should read zero. The other thing that's odd is the voltage at the neg post with the #2 spade connected is still there with the alternator off the tractor and not grounded. The only thing I have are the three positive wires of excite/battery/sense.

I did let the tractor set over nite with everything hooked up and it still reads 13.6 volts. Obviously that's still full charged. If I get another dead battery from this, I'm tempted to run that sense wire through a switched wire and see how that works. Then I'll know the #2 spade connection will be out of it.

As always, appreciate the help, Bob

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Still I have the 13 volts at the break of neg post to ground where the test light was. That still goes to zero removing the #2 spade connection."

It takes very little current to give a reading of VOLTAGE on a digital meter, likely, all is well.

Bob21 Martin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: 806 alternator draining battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a relief, Bob. Thanks. This sub zero weather up here takes the fun out of working on this thing.

Appreciate it and have a great new year, Bob (also)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters