Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Magnetic heater

View previous topic :: View next topic  
8NHENRY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:55 am    Post subject: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am going to get a magnetic heater to help warm the tractor up before I start it this winter. My question is it more beneficial,to put it on the oil pan or the engine block and heat the water?
Thanks.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Folks who live in places a lot colder than I do here in VA will argue about battery blankets or magnetic oil pan heaters as compared to lower radiator hose heaters or dipstick heaters. While the consensus leans toward lower radiator hose heaters, I can?t offer a personal observation; the only thing I?ve ever used to heat an engine was a 100w light bulb laid against the intake manifold. Magnetic oil pan heaters on the intake manifold will help as well.

If you have AC power to the tractor for the heater, use a float charger too. No matter what else you do, the battery must be fully charged. A float charger is helpful; not a trickle charger, but a float charger. A battery charger, even a "trickle" charger, left unattended will eventually boil out a battery. I use float chargers for two reasons: battery longevity and a sure start. Battery sulfation occurs at a specific rate at "X" temperature. Over time, sulfation reduces battery performance and eventually its effects are irreversible. Sulfation of batteries starts when specific gravity falls below 1.225 or voltage measures less than 12.4 for a 12v battery, or 6.2 for a 6 volt battery. Sulfation hardens on the battery plates reducing and eventually destroying the ability of the battery to generate current. Using a float charger significantly reduces sulfation. Your battery loses 33 percent of its power when the temperature dips below freezing, and over 50 percent of its power when the temperature falls below zero. A fully charged battery will not freeze until -76?F; however, a fully discharged battery can start to freeze at 32?F. So??keep the battery fully charged! If you have a digital volt meter, 6.03 volts on a 6 volt battery and 12.06 volts on a 12 volt battery is only a 25% charge! I use Deltran battery tenders on all the tractors, the golf cart & 29 Ford. Pricey, but they work & have in-lines fuses. All are hard wired to the vehicles.
75 Tips

8NHENRY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:22 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Bruce, never thought about that type of battery charger/maintainer. I only "have" to get the 8n out about 6 times a winter and for the last 5 years or so if it's not below 0 it will start up ok, just looking to help it along. I like the idea of heating up the manifold as well, makes perfect sense.

Flatheadpete
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a small electric heater that I set under the tractor that I plug in an hour or so before starting. But I just recently put a wood furnace in my garage so my sequence may change when it comes to cold weather starting.

skips8n
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's cold enough here for the oil pan to act like a heat sink. I have better luck putting the magnetic heater on the intake manifold.

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put mine on the bottom of the hydraulic sump. Unless it's well below 0°, I generally don't have a problem starting (just have to mind not to flood it with too much choke). But if the hydraulic oil is cold, it can take 15-20 minutes of running the tractor before it warms up enough that lift action speed is 'normal.'

That said, I literally just ordered two more right before checking in here. One will go on my Boomer 8N sump, and the other will go on the '50 intake for when temps are really cold (as we're expecting in the next few days).

es

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:31 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to put one on the oil pan of my Kubota yesterday but it doesn't stick to it, so I put it on the side of the block. I prefer the oil pan if it is steel since heat rises.

HFJ
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:31:50 12/29/17)
I went to put one on the oil pan of my Kubota yesterday but it doesn't stick to it, so I put it on the side of the block. I prefer the oil pan if it is steel since heat rises.

aluminum oil pan?

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

HFJ wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:38:29 12/29/17)
showcrop wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:31:50 12/29/17)

aluminum oil pan?

I suppose that it could be magnesium but I think that it is more likely aluminum.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A 1500 watt heat gun aimed at the intake manifold and carburetor for a few minutes works for me.Even a propane torch to heat the intake up works (but not as safe)keeping the battery up to snuf with a tender helps tremendously.

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

8NHENRY wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:55:17 12/29/17) I am going to get a magnetic heater to help warm the tractor up before I start it this winter. My question is it more beneficial,to put it on the oil pan or the engine block and heat the water?
Thanks.

I hang a heat lamp, aimed at the manifold side, to warm up the carburetor/manifold, during the winter. I leave it on 24/7 so the tractor is ready to go whenever I need it.

8NHENRY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies, I was just going to ask the question about using a heat lamp, question answered. I know the inline heaters work better, but I am not doing that this winter so I got the magnetic heater today. With that and a heat lamp it has to be way better than nothing.

cowdog
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won't work worth a darn if it isn't inside
And not much better if it is. Those rad hose heater cost more than they should, but worth it. If you just.need to get by, put the magnetic heater on the pan and have a maintainer on the battery. O h yeah. Some sort of padding for that cold iron seat to protect ur hind end

Abbby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Magnetic heater Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IMO the Katz lower radiator hose is the only way to go. Some of the nay sayers think the coolant must be circulated for it to work. I plug mine in about an hour before starting at -20F. Touch hand on head and it feels warm. Tractor starts right up like 40F. A little tight fit installing but well worth it. I tried a magnetic one on the pan and really not a good place on the N to put and did not seem to heat much at. Again my opinion and experience.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters