Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
sdk8
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi everyone. I want to build a direct drive hydraulic post hole digger to use on my very old skid steer. Home Depot rents towable units (Ground Hog brand) that just use a hydraulic motor to power the auger, no gear box, direct drive. I want to do a similar setup. My skid steer has auxiliary hookups (never used them) Thinking about getting an ebay hydraulic motor, 1" shaft, about 23 cubic inch displacement. 10 feet 1/2" hoses. Thinking about mounting the motor to a steel plate, weld a piece of 6" pipe about a foot long to plate (enclosing motor) then rig up a swivel at top of pipe, attach to bucket. Will it work? Thoughts? Thanks

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You would have to know available flow and pressure from the skid, then divide the flow by the displacement of the motor to give you the speed. Looking at the chart from the motor mfg. will give you the torque the motor will produce at the available pressure.

At that point, it would be helpful to have an idea of how much torque it takes to operate the your particular auger to dig at a useful speed in your soil conditions.

Or, you could figure this out empirically buy trying that motor and adjusting the size up or down as needed $$$!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:20 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob you hit the points as to why I have not tried to take my old post hole digger and putting on a hyd motor I have laying around. Gear box on my post hole digger striped the gears so it sits doing nothing and I traded for 2 hyd motors years ago and they just lay around in my shop and there brand new never used with the factory plugs still In the ports

sdk8
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bob thanks. According to the info I have the pressure is Main 2130 psi, Port 1560 psi, and discharge volume is 7.37 gal per minute. Any advice is much appreciated

Tony in SD
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are a few more things to consider. The constant vertical pull/push on a direct mother that may not be designed for that force may
prematurely fail. Torque of the motor, the ability to turn the auger. Not sure of your soil types or diameter of the holes, so you will need to
match your flow, torque, auger size and soil conditions.
No matter what you end up with, you will be much happier with a skid steer PHD than a 3 point PHD any day.

sdk8
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tony thanks.
I agree with the push pull concerns, that's why I was very surprised with the units Home Depot rent. There's not much to them! I look at it like, they rent them to everybody and their brother and apparently they hold up.
I know they aren't hooked to a skid steer but if I put a rig together and use with a good bit of caution I might be ok?

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

couls be cheaper to just purchase a hydraulic post hole digger than to cobble something together while hoping the specs are correct . http://www.danuser.com/category/product-category/attachments/auger-systems/hydraulic/ep-heavy-duty-series

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I remember correctly the Ground Hog units have a metal bar that is
hooked to the power unit. That keeps you from getting tourqed in with
everything. Just remember those little hydraulic motors can put a
world of hurt on you. Personally a cobble project like this gives me
an uneasy fealing.

used red MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don?t know about all the technical problems you will have to overcome but here is one thing I will recommend, to mount the digger somehow incorporate a universal joint from an old drive line or PTO shaft. One yoke mounted to your stationary mount to the bucket the other yoke attaching to the auger motor or drive unit. This will hold everything from turning but allow any angle.

2x4
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed. $2500 will get you a new Lowe auger (no relation to Lowes Store) with a warranty & long time reputation for working.

jeffcat
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Down at work we have very big cooking kettles with power mixers on them. They can crush up whole lobsters like soup crackers. Bent the ever lovin crap out of a stainless paddle. Had to use an angle grinder to get it apart. Most hydraulic stuff is not really fast but most of the time it also DOESN'T stop. Crunch!

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Hydraulic post hole digger / auger need advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Who ever specified the hydraulic motor errors and used too high of torque rating.
Or install a variable relief valve to limit pressure and therefore torque.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters