Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall A transmission

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steviemote
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:25 pm    Post subject: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello. When we parked the 1945 Farmall A in my buddies driveway we left the gear shift in N. We tried to move the tractor but seems stuck in gear, What do you all think is the cause? What is the repair procedure. HAPPY 2018 TO YOU ALL!

James Babcock
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It could be still in gear, you may have to unbolt the top cover of transmission and put all the notches in the slider rails back in alignment, then reinstall cover. An easier thing to try first would be to loosen the bolts on the starter and wiggle it. Sometimes the starter drive gets jammed onto the flywheel and can lock up everything. Last thing, if there is water in the final drive area, it can freeze and lock up everything, too. HTH

Ellis Kinney
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you put it in N and let the clutch out before you shut it off, it probably isn't locked in gear. Some water frozen in the transmission could probably keep it from rolling. Do you live in the frozen north? You don't say if the tractor is running, but the brakes bands could also be frozen. Ellis

Brownie450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have below zero temps, you probably have ice in the bottom
pans of the final drives.
Have to heat them up.

Could be ice in the bottom of the transmission also.
Jim

Brownie450
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ellis beat me to it.

1946 BN IHC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the others say Water is the IHC tractors worst culprit. Yeas ago I had a transition BN Farmall do the same. I have since designed a cap shield to keep water / moisture from trickling down the shifter shaft into the transmission housing. Moisture entering the transmission is 90% from this direction since IHC made a poor design to keep out moisture that collected on the gearshift leaver a little at a time yet this small amount builds up.
Happy New Year
Wm.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had the rear end freeze on my newly purchaced 400 this fall. Pulled the drain plug and saw a block of ice.It warmed up and dripped oil and water for several days till empty.Filled it with fresh new oil,all is well.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As the others have said plan and simple it is winter and that means ice which will lock things up big time. BTDT. If it was me I would pour a bottle of heet in and then figure out a way to get it above freezing. The HEET will help absorb the water/ice and turn it into a liquid that will not freeze

steve706
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you have a picture of what you made, curious to see what it looks like.

K-Mo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall A transmission Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use the plastic cap off a quart oil bottle. Use a hole punch to punch a hole and slide it down the gear shift lever.
Hole Punch

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters