Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

hitches angle and thoughts why

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slowmo57
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:15 am    Post subject: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hitches angle and thoughts of every buddy

I have seen a lot of different hitches over my 38 years pulling.
Cheating ones (floating )
? Pitched up hard
? pitched down hard
? strait hitch no pitch because of groups rules.
? Long hitch 20 from center (said because pulling on hard or soft track to get frontend to lift)
? 18 on dot more down pressure
? Height up and down always max unless front is light and no way to move any more weight to front
? Really wide hole where chain goes
? Oval hole
? round hole
? square hole
? hitch in line with hook point
?
Everything works good for every one differently . I know I must of missed some areas of hitches. Why does one person work good or is it just his hole set up and driving skills??I SAY YES TO THIS ONE. This is some things me and some of my puller friend talk about. Anyone else ever do same.?

mdross
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our club's rules say where our hitches can be and how big the hook hole has to be. The hitch I built attaches to the tractor on the draw bar frame and triangulates up to the rear axle housing. Changing over to it from a modified drawbar has put me in the winners circle a lot. The rest was weight placement.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:38 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Slomo I don't think it makes any difference the angle of your hitch. It's all solid steel. But because of some rules on my Allis I have welded a flat plate to make hitch level. Rear end of.a.Allis is way higher than 20". Just a tip from your picture. Keep front wheels strait when off the ground. When you come down acts just like a brake. Lean left to make tractor go right. Sorry just helpful hint for.today. Have I pulled with you on my 435 JD.

Slowmo57
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep I agree about front tires,that is my 15 year old nephew in pic.he has been pulling for a few years now.He was a little nervus pulling inside for first time.

Slowmo57
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, I remember your 435 JD tuff tractor. I built Slow Mo 20 years ago. How long have you had 435 JD ? I know it has been a long time.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:02 pm    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think 8 years.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What you want for a hitch is a "transfer hitch". I believe that two brands of tractors had them. The drawbar is mounted in a linkage that causes it to pull up and out when when the load comes on. These are especially helpful when pulling light and your tractor is nose heavy. It is not recommended though unless you have a close relative or good buddy on the scale or running the pull. Wink

Slowmo57
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL Showcrop

I don't want to cheat. My post was just to see if anyone thought any style hitch built gives a advantage over another one built. Just some fun talk among fellow pullers.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hitch design does make a difference. Again, not a one size fits all situation. Takes some experimenting.

oros35
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As long as the hitch is fixed and can't move, the shape or design of the hitch doesn't matter. Pick up an engineering statics 101 book and start reading. Build your free body diagram and it will be clear. It doesn't matter how you get from point A to point B on the diagram, the resulting forces and moments will be the same.

Only time it would make a difference is if the hitch point would move in relation to the tractor during a pull. Which is illegal everywhere I've ever pulled.

What you want to do is design your hitch to meet safety rules, keep the weight down, and have it as adjustable as possible. Moving your hitch point 1/2" up or in makes a huge difference in how the force from the chain gets applied to your tractor.

20MuleTeam
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly correct. Took Statics 101 55 yrs ago & that's what was taught. Still true today.

535353m
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MMfan55, I agree with you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Makes a huge difference,we have all used a crow bar to lift stuff,angle matters most.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks 535353M. I have built several U moline tractors and experimented with different hitch designs. Some I pulled a few times and changed the hitch to a previous design. I will not debate what self proclaimed experts write in a book. I know what experience taught me. Experience says it makes a difference. Same model tractors. Accurate comparisons

jdth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agree with both MM & 53! There is a reason NTPA & PPL limit the angle of the drawbar.

Curt Smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: hitches angle and thoughts why Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Angle makes no differece. Its how and where you bolt it up. Your 3rd bullet point is on the mark.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters