Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Farmall H fenders

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregtheDC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:56 am    Post subject: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did all H's come delivered with fenders? I just bought a '46 H without fenders and didn't know if that was an option. If not I need to start looking for a set. Thanks in advance
Greg

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fenders were an extra cost option. Very, very few Hs came with fenders. I never even knew there was such a thing until I began attending tractor shows about 20 years ago.

tomtinker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was an option very rarely opted for.

Michael Soldan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fenders were an option, they can be found and there are reproduction fenders on the market.The reproduction fenders look identical but the edge is rolled a bit sharper than the originals, other than that, the mountings and braces are identical. I have a pair of H fenders in my shop that I cleaned up and painted, they look like new and I haven't gotten around to putting them on ..that was about 10 years ago. Both of my 1943 H's had fenders when I acquired them

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In all the years I have been around tractor I have yet to ever see an H with fenders and the 4 I have do not have them. Many tractor from the 30s, 40s, and 50 did not have fenders unless they where ordered and that cost more $$ so many did not even have them

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As I understand(so I've been told),fenders(wheel gards/mud gards)were required by law in Michigan.However,they merely an option everywhere else.An option few took becacse of the extra cost.Today,there are several aftermarket scources.

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:42 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-DeltaRed wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:40:03 01/02/1Cool As I understand(so I've been told),fenders(wheel gards/mud gards)were required by law in Michigan.However,they merely an option everywhere else.An option few took becacse of the extra cost.Today,there are several aftermarket scources.

That may explain why so many here have fenders.

cornerpost
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad called fenders on Farmalls shin skinners.

WayneLee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am 70 years old and never seen old Farmalls with fenders till I found this site

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Optional equipment, we had an M and Super C bought new with fenders and another M from a farm auction a few years later with none. As long as I was around those tractors the fenders were very seldom on, they hung from the north west corner of the machine shed, they had to be taken off for most of the equipment that bolted on the tractors.

AJB-830
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They were also required by law in Wisconsin too. Most "H" and "M" tractors in Wisconsin will have fenders. Even the 400s through the 560s will almost always have fenders. Al

GregtheDC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THanks for all the great information, I appreciate it
Hi Old, staying warm down at the lake?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if you can call temps around zero for the last few night warm yes. LOL Was not fun working on wife's car today out in the nice hot 20 degree weather we had

53 super H
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had more than one person tell me my Super H with fenders was the first one anyone in the area had ever seen. Dad always kept them on and they are still there today.

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall H fenders Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fenders were required by law here in Michigan, but many were taken off and left in a shed. Before reproductions were available serious collectors scanned all the old farm auctions looking for them. Our county fair requires all original safety equipment, including fenders, for the antique tractor pulls, which has resulted in a few arguments and disqualified tractors.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters