Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Don Rudolph- DC numbers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dacaseguy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:34 am    Post subject: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don, attached are pics of my serial numbers and some of the rod bearings. I don't plan on replacing the rod bearings. They each had the original 6 shims ? I thought I would check them with plastic guage. I not sure about the hammer method mentioned in another post. Dick

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Dick for posting the pictures of the rods and caps, Babbitt bearing. Makes sense to check with plastigage. Enjoying the pictures of your project gobble

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Dick,

Well, your DC has the original engine and it is a 1953 model. I'm pretty sure that is the way it came right from the factory with 3 7/8" sleeves and pistons. If it had been upgraded to 4" sleeves and aluminum pistons it would be stamped AP either before or after the serial numbers on the block. I think your tractor proves that t least some early 1953 D series were factory equipped and sold with the 3 7/8" cast iron pistons. Thanks for helping to clear this up. Don

L.Fure
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 2:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The rod cap in your picture looks pretty good. I've seen them with junks of Babbitt missing.

NickatKY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dick,
Thanks for all of the posts on your tractor restorations.

Like most farm kids I grew up helping dad in the shop. The way I was taught to adjust babbitt bearings is as follows;

Bearings have to be adjusted 1 at a time.

Remove shims until tightness is felt but engine can still be rotated by hand. This is considered "0" clearance. Now add shims needed to have the required clearance according to the factory specs. Repeat on each bearing.

Dads reason for this method was to make sure there was enough clearance for the full 360 degree rotation if the bearing or crank had worn out of round. I remember hand cranking many many rounds before he would finish adjusting all of the bearings. I bet there are others on here that use this method.

Nick

D-C-741
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THE SERIAL ON OUR'S IS 8026244

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nick!! 25 years ago that is the way my Dad & I adjusted the Rods & Mains on our '53 DC-3. Except Dad was on the crank & I was underneath, subtracting & adding shims. He would pull against the crank and by his feel we adjusted the bearings. At that time, oil pressure went from 30 to 40, where it still is today. I use 15W40. Dad was 85 at the time.

Ande
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nick, I'm glad you haven't lost this talent.

tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know which treasure is better, working with your Dad when he was 85, or still having the tractor you worked on together. Thanks for sharing. gobble

olgentdc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LOL ,.. Nick ,,. I was the Cranker Too Back in Those days ,.. I would bet there are still shims like that hanging on a nail next to the grainary at Dads place,,..

Don Rudolph
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 am    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nick,

That is the same procedure we used last Spring on our DC3 LP. I was the cranker. LOL Don

John Saeli
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom: Dad sold that DC new in '53. In 1978 my wife & I bought it back from the original owner. It will be in our family for many more years as our kids know it's history. The original owner told me he had never touched the magneto, and to this day, neither have I. Dad lived to be 90, was working in his garden & had a heart attack. Mom lived to be just shy of 100.

Dustyah
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Don Rudolph- DC numbers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ive got 8027568, 1953 DC, foot clutch eagle hitch live pto, strong tractor, 13.6 witch calcium and 2 sets of weights, does good with 3/14s and 10 ft disc, plowing in 2nd discing in 3rd, love the tractor, steering is a lil slow, but overall great machine, Dustyah

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters