Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

old photo

View previous topic :: View next topic  
muleman51
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:04 pm    Post subject: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My mother passed away Christmas eve day, we have been going through old pictures. Her father had the JD dealership in Sheldon Ia, in
the late 30s until his passing in 52. Does anyone recognize this. This photo was probably taken during the war as there are scrap
posters on the walls. Any recollections or old photos would be much appreciated or better yet a tractor that he sold. Thanks Jim

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2018 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Interesting. I like seeing any old dealership photos regardless of the brand handled. The closest Deere dealer closed before I started school back in the 1960's and remember being in there once with dad. I remember riding along with dad on days like today (cold and blowing) down to the local IH dealer who sold dad quite a bit of the manure and silage handling equipment he had.

susandiane
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:46 am    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That photo brought back old memories. I could almost smell the places like that again. The wood floors, oil, grease, an old stove somewhere for both "office" and shop. People you could talk to and they knew what you were talking about without a computer. A little dust in the corners, but a place where work got done. The machinery may not have compared with today's, but the "atmosphere" and service were priceless. Thanks for sharing!

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That?s a neat picture I blew it up trying to read what the signs say

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very neat photo. Noticed the styled B on steel sitting in the shop.

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That?s beautiful ain?t it ?

Glen D Anderson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, nothing to contribute as far as that particular picture or it's history goes.

That said, thanks for posting the picture! Although it was long before time it brings back memories of trips with my dad to similar shops in later years. As already mentioned the smell of oil / grease soaked wooden flooring is a memory that seems to stick with me over the years.

CVPost-muleman51 wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:04:11 01/01/1Cool My mother passed away Christmas eve day, we have been going through old pictures. Her father had the JD dealership in Sheldon Ia, in
the late 30s until his passing in 52. Does anyone recognize this. This photo was probably taken during the war as there are scrap
posters on the walls. Any recollections or old photos would be much appreciated or better yet a tractor that he sold. Thanks Jim

52BW
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photo.....thanks for bringing back fond memories of people and places!

tractorguy2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just noticed the required gum ball machine on the counter. been years since I've seen a gum ball machine.

old popper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did some local research, and I found that there was a "Krahling Implement" in Sheldon in 1940.
I hope this helps you.

Bookman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is probably a "Buy Defense Bonds" sign above the door on the upper right side of the picture, which adds weight to the conclusion that it was taking during World War II. Neat picture.

muleman51
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a unstyled B and it looks bigger than that. I thought that might be an H. My younger brother has one of his work jacket also, with the old emblems on. We were just toddlers when he passed. Any help finding a tractor he sold would be greatly appreciated.

banvicegrips
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: old photo Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photo, I started wondering what was on the scrap harvest posters. (counter and door) think I found em.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters