Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Red paint color

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrus Burr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:49 pm    Post subject: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Guys, I'm working on a 1938 Oliver 70. What's the difference between Oliver red [wheels and trim], and International Farmall red. Brighter, darker, more orange? Is Massey Fergussen red a closer match?
Thanks,
Andy

Centerplate
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Martin Senour 99L-3752 is the Oliver red paint code.

I know that New Holland red is much brighter than IH red. I cannot tell you where Massey red is in comparison.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

None of them are quite right. I know this always starts a fight and has caused some folks to get right up and leave this forum,but I don't think the wheels even were red on a 38 were they? They're green on my original paint 39.
I've re painted the front wheels,and I bought a pair of 40 inch tires that were already mounted on some rims that were painted red and I swapped the whole thing over,but these centers haven't been painted and they're green.

Andrus Burr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In fact you're right, I think they should be green,...but I just like the red wheels so much I decided to go ahead and violate the code of restoration. My bad.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya,I don't blame you,most folks do. I painted the grill stripe red on my late red wheeled Super 55 red instead of painting it green because I like it that way and it's my tractor. I don't know what to say about matching up those other colors though as far as which is lighter or darker,I just know that IH and Massey red are different than Oliver red. You'd just about need some swatches of each one to match them up. If you're not fussy you can probably come up with something close,but using the code and having a quart mixed or buying a quart from one of the aftermarket guys who sell it would be the best way to get it right.

craigco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used case ih red on my 45 70. Right or wrong I don't care. Looks good.

Andrus Burr
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:29 am    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha! Good. Red paint is so unstable these days since lead was outlawed that it won't stay the same shade for more than a couple of years anyway.

Mark in Minn.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used IH red and found out it is too dark and darkens more with age. I use Van Sickle Massey Ferguson red and right or wrong it works for me,it does not seem to darken with age either. Just my 2 cts worth.

big tee
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Red paint color Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mixed equal parts of MF and IH red together and thought it came out real close.---Tee

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters