Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Sending a "Modern" Combine to the Ukraine

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:11 pm    Post subject: Sending a "Modern" Combine to the Ukraine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A business contact of mine has been over from Europe several times and I've gotten to know him a little. His parents are still farming in Ukraine, his father is only 65 and farmers don't really retire in Ukraine because this area is very, very poor by our North American standards. They use equipment until it's dead, then they piece it back together and use it more.

They are using a pair of ancient Deere 55 combines, one is an open station. I believe he said they have 2500 acres if I'm converting hectares correctly of small grain, so combining takes a long, long, time apparently. They also do a neighbor's land. I don't know what a Deere 55 covers in a day, but I'm guessing it's not 200 acres. Breakdowns are frequent, repair parts do not exist. The engines have been replaced with some type of Soviet-era diesel, the fact that they accomplished this repower is a testimony to their powers of bush engineering.

Anyway, this guy was wondering how I found my old Deere tractor for my hunting property and I unwittingly introduced him to the wonder that is Craigslist.

He has been surfing it for the past year or so and he is astonished at the equipment that is being "given away" over here. Combines with less than 5000 hours for less than $7000. This is unheard of in Ukraine where working used machines are almost never sold at any price. He showed machines to his father and it's absolutely killing both of them, so he looked into the cost of shipping whole combine and to be honest I was surprised at how cheap it was. $5000-$6000 will get 'er all the way to Odessa from the US east coast.

He's looking at 6620, 7720, and 8820 Deere machines, so total outlay to get the machine to Odessa with a grain head and spare parts would be somewhere around $18,000 - $20,000.

I think he's crazy. His father says that these machines are ultra modern by Ukraine standards.

So my question is:

Were these really good and reliable Deere machines? Any major issues they should know about?

Is this crazy? I mean, be honest. Shipping a combine this far to be used by someone who's never driven a hydro machine and never worked on anything newer than what, 1960 or whenever the last Deere 55 rolled off the line?

He's so serious about this that he's looking at bringing his father over this summer to "go shopping". His father has never left Ukraine. This guy makes good money as an engineer, so he's going to buy the combine for his dad for a birthday present. I just would hate to see them go through all this trouble and expense and get a bum steer or worse.

What do you guys think of this idea?

Grouse

fastfarmall
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes the hundred series or the 20 series were both good machines,the straw walker were wooden boxing's but they last last almost forever, the big thing is it's a Hydro, how long is that going to last or when it need work, is the big unknown. You can get them with posi-torque drive too, there good too, that's two big sheaves the close and open to get a variable ground speed. The John Deere engine, the 404 or 466 are real dependable too in my opinion, there going to be picking up swaths there? But i hope he realize he needs another 2,000 dollars of parts, Brg's belts, pick up teeth,fuel filters, engine oil, you dont want to gas engine oil in them turbo diesles, etc, he might as well buy a big Job box and send along with it, that way he's got a place to keep it, and all dry!!

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Apparently, the Ukrainians have some shirttail relatives up in Saskatchewan that has been advising them. They've been helping these guys keep the 55s alive with parts care packages.

The SK relatives said the XX20 Deeres are the way to go as they had them back when they were new up there. I guess the plus side is that they can help on the knowhow end and they are pretty creative with taking apart things and sending them piece by piece in the mail. I guess they've taken apart stuff and sent one part over in 6 packages so they can get it through the regular mail which is way faster.

Grouse

Dugger
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a "Modern" Combine to the Ukraine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="The Famous Grouse"](reply to post at 18:11:22 01/02/18) [/quote]
I agree they are solid machines
But if they are that poor even
$20,000 is a lot of money
Just wondering
Dugger

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a "Modern" Combine to the Ukraine Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree they are solid machines
But if they are that poor even
$20,000 is a lot of money
Just wondering
Dugger

It sounds like they are in "have to do something" territory. How old are those 55s? Also if thwy are doing say 3000 acres how lon would that take?

Plus, the son has a good job based in Germany and I'm sure he's pulling down 200+ k so what's a few bucks for the old man...

But yes, its a big pile of change plus I'm more thinking of maintenance costs.

Grouse

centash
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why don't they look in western Europe for a combine? Lots of good machines there, and
the shipping costs saved would cover a lot of repairs.
Ben

4520BW
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What about rostenmash combines,l believe
they are Russia? We had one that was
shipped in from the Ukraine to be repowered
so they could be sold here. I believe
buhler versatile own them now.

GreenEnvy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just send him some nice square back diesel 105s. Those should double those 55s can do plus it would still be the same basic design they are familiar with. Also, I have been told by many guys who ran 55s back when they were new is they were good for about 40 acres in a long day.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

google "Haukos Brothers" in Glencoe, MN. They have been shipping JD planters and other equipment to Russia for many years.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fella here in Minnesota was buying up all the JD 7000 planters and shipping them to Russia, was pretty good as the price of those planters
about doubled.....

I think they can be broken down to fit in a container tho, stuff it full of planters for cheap shipping.

A whole combine, that's a little more involved.

An interesting, maybe, view of farming over there in one part of their country in my link.

Paul
Farming Ukraine style

4520BW
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rostselmash ....darn auto spell

Levi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say its not a terrible idea especially if they have family willing to help with parts from north america. A hydro would probably be a safer bet. Belt drive parts are JD manufactured whyle the hydro components are eaton and sundstrand which should make them a lot more available outside of JD's part system. heare is a link to an outfit that sells them, http://www.stoens.com/john-deere

The Famous Grouse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. At least it's not the worst idea anyone's ever heard of. I like this family and I guess I empathize with them being from the European equivalent of our flyover land.

Why not buy a European machine? Good question. I'm speculating that it has to do with politics, cost, and transport. They certainly have looked into it in Germany, CR, and Slovakia. Everything in Europe is very, very expensive to these folks. Russia and Ukraine aren't on friendly terms these days, so cross border travel with expensive machines sounds dicey to me. The political situation in this part of the world is very dicey and complicated.

And to be honest I get the sense that they like the adventure of this. Farming out there sounds like quite a grind and apparently, there's a wedding this summer up in SK that they'd like to attend. I guess these weddings are quite the deal, like a 3 day deal.

Well, like I said, at least the idea isn't the worst. It'd be pretty cool if they pulled this off, but I just want to see them get something better than what they got, doesn't matter from where.

Things are pretty rough over there, we talk about bad times and troubles over here like we know what they are. Gotta say over there you get people yearning for the good old days of the Soviet Union and you can't blame them a lot for it. I can see where they do think of those as the good old days, everybody had a job and got to go to a summer camp every year, etc, etc. Makes you thankful for what you've got.

Grouse

jm.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They can hook up with a export broker to handle the paper work and get it exported/imported. Should not be too big a deal but unit does have to be squeaky clean when it gets to port or they will clean it and bill the shipper. I do a few dozers a year and not a big problem.

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sending a Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-4520bw wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:39:57 01/02/1Cool What about rostenmash combines,l believe
they are Russia? We had one that was
shipped in from the Ukraine to be repowered
so they could be sold here. I believe
buhler versatile own them now.

NOPE, you got that backwards, Combine Factory Rostselmash owns Buhler/Versatile!

http://www.farmindustrynews.com/tractors/versatiles-back

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters