Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ot jeep 3.7 v6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
flembo
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:59 am    Post subject: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My step son was visiting this past weekend and when he went to start his Jeep Sunday morning at -7 deg. it fired up and then quit. I got out the Ready heater and warmed it up for 15 minutes and it started but ran lousy back firing thru the intake and a bad rattle sound on the right side. OBD reader said number 6 misfire so googled symptoms and learned that those engines are prone to dropping a Rocker arm. After several tests to be sure it wasn't something simple like a coil pak we started clearing everything out of the way of the valve cover and removed the cover and sure enough number 6 exhaust Rocker arm was laying there. It was a simple fix but getting to the valve cover was a bear fortunately I had everything needed including a heated garage. 2 and half hours and he was on his way and a 3 hour drive to Maine when he got home he found he had frozen pipes in his house to deal with but the car ran Ok. If interested google jeep 3.7 v6 4.7 v8 dropped Rocker arm.

Crashfarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 8:58 am    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, you wouldn't recommend the 3.7? That sounds like a pain to me.

My old Cherokee has about 220,000 on the 4.0 and I've had very little trouble with it. About the worst thing was that a few years ago it started to get real hard to start when it was damp out but a good soaking of all the under hood wiring with silicone spray cured that. It's one of the best vehicles I've ever owned.

My son sold his 89 Cherokee with a 4.0 at a little over 300,000 and it's still going strong. In fact he is thinking about trying to buy it back from the fellow he sold it to.

I don't know why they quit putting the old reliable 4.0 in Jeeps.

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-crashfarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:58:15 01/02/1Cool ....................
I don't know why they quit putting the old reliable 4.0 in Jeeps.

THAT,right there, is the 64,000 dollar question! Rolling Eyes

Red Dave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 4.0 in my '90 Cherokee. I ran it for 21 years with no engine problems at all. It had other issues over the years, but never any engine trouble. My understanding was that it was a 1950's Rambler engine updated with electronic ignition and fuel injection. It was bullet proof.

I know people who had Cherokees from the '80's that had a V6 and had problems with them, but I don't know which one.

hd6gtom
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Used car dealers, if they are truthfull, will tell you " if its got a chrysler or dodge motor in it ending in .7 don't buy it. Its either blown up or just ready to blow up.". I heard that from every dealer I talked to while I spent 12 years working for a dealer.

8NHENRY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a 4.0 my self, love that motor. Guessing they stopped making them because they lasted to long.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some things to know about the 3.7 engines. Most common problems are due to using the wrong weight oil or not changing it at the right intervals. Between all of my friends, there are about 6 or 8 Jeeps with the 3.7 engine in them.

Using the correct weight oil is very important in these engines. They use hydraulic tensioners on the timing chains. There are 4 timing chains in that engine. With the wrong weight of oil, the hydraulic components simply do not work right in all conditions. Running the oil too long will have consequences as well.

I have worked on a number of them. Just finished replacing an engine in one of them. The guy ran it low on oil and it apparently spun a rod bearing.

Also note that most of today's engines last for 200,000 miles or more. Compare that to engines of say the 1940s. After 70,000, they were already on their second valve job and ready for a ring job. Yet, we call modern engines bad. Are they really? At what point in time could you reasonably expect 200,000 miles of service with little, if any, major repairs?

Today's engines are more expensive and less repairable than they were years ago, but they also last 4 times as long.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Ot jeep 3.7 v6 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I googled it. Seems most of them have bigger problems as loose valve seat caused it and cyl. heads needed replaced ? Hope you get lucky !

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Tales (OT) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters