Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

About to look at a DB885

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:53 am    Post subject: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

New to the site. Have been reading David Brown 885 archives for over two hours. Lots of tips on trouble shooting/repairing the PTO, 3-point and trouble shooting the diesel engine.

I am considering driving over an hour to look at a late 70's to early 80's diesel DB885 with a front end loader. According to the owner there are no mechanical issues. Everything is supposed to work. New front tires, decent rears, lift works, loader works, tight front end, sheet metal and paint in good condition.

One exception is it needs a snort of ether to start whether the weather is hot or cold. Evidently there are no pre-heaters on the 885? Runs fine once running, no smoke or performance issues after that. Read something about a cold start valve, I believe on the underside of the pump? Given the potential for pump issues from the use of low sulfur fuels in older machines should I be concerned? When I go to look the tractor over and test drive it, are there potential faults particulars to a 35-40 year old 885 I should concern myself with to avoid costly repairs?

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find I hard to believe that it doesn't have a thermo start preheater on it. Look closely at the intake manifold. There should be a heater (sort of looks like a big spark plug) with a fuel line and wire hooked to it. To activate it just rotate the key switch CC and hold for a bit. If all you see on the intake manifold is a big hex plug there is no preheater.
DBs were Not real good about ingesting ether, so look and listen to how the engine acts when started.
Loren

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just repaired an 885 injection pump, there's an advance lock out screw to help with cold starts. Look for a small shaft with a roll pin through the end, turn it fully clockwise to keep the timing retarded for cold starts. After engine starts back the screw out completely to the advance on position. Be worth a try and see if it helps. Hard starting hot could be the injection pump hydraulic head is worn, and may need replaced. Usually caused by lack of good fuel filter maintenance, or the filter center pilot O ring missing. That keeps the filter from being sealed between clean/dirty sides.

ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 09:48:19 01/03/1Cool Just repaired an 885 injection pump, there's an advance lock out screw to help with cold starts. Look for a small shaft with a roll pin through the end, turn it fully clockwise to keep the timing retarded for cold starts. After engine starts back the screw out completely to the advance on position. Be worth a try and see if it helps. Hard starting hot could be the injection pump hydraulic head is worn, and may need replaced. Usually caused by lack of good fuel filter maintenance, or the filter center pilot O ring missing. That keeps the filter from being sealed between clean/dirty sides.

Haven't the tractor it yet, still waiting on pictures before driving three hours. As explained to me, it starts fine once the engine has the least amount of heat in it. It is when cold starting in warm weather it likes a snort.

ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:58 am    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why would the pre-heater have a fuel line? Is it inline with the injectors? The owner claims it doesn't have one. He seems to be diesel fluent.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diesel intake heaters are either all electric, or Thermostart which use two electric coils and burn diesel fuel in the manifold for cold starting. Thermostart units are popular on David Brown, Ford, and MF tractors. First coil starts heating, then the second allows some fuel in after about 12 seconds. With the switch held on heat-start position the warm air is drawn in when the engine cranks over. When used correctly they work well. CAV lists low, medium, and high flow units available depending on engine needs. What will ruin one quick is no fuel at the inlet to the assembly, coils will burn out with no fuel present.

ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:22 pm    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, back to my original question about test driving an 885, what should I be looking for that is common-to or a-be-sure-to-watch-out-for issue on a David Brown?

ArleninOr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren, have worked on a lot of 885's and 990's. Have seen at least a dozen without the thermsotart. Actually have a complete unit sitting on my desk as I write this. Someone on here asked about one for his tractor a couple months ago.

ScottNC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: About to look at a DB885 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-ArleninOr wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:39:03 01/03/1Cool Loren, have worked on a lot of 885's and 990's. Have seen at least a dozen without the thermsotart. Actually have a complete unit sitting on my desk as I write this. Someone on here asked about one for his tractor a couple months ago.

Any chance of a picture or link so I know what to look for?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters