Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:31 am    Post subject: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What would be a safe product to thin 303 type hydraulic oil with for very cold temp use? I was thinking ATF, but maybe simple diesel would work? At -20 or below it just get too thick. This is on old tractors like a MF65 and JD 420C.

caterpillar guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just use a heater to blow on them. We have temps down that cold and we just let them warm up a bit at first. That is with the Hytran oil. All IH tractors with one Deere in there. Don't seem to have much trouble with the oil.

Traditional Farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Buy a decent quality oil to start with.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

low viscosity Hy-gard

JDEM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 1960 John Deere manual says to add kerosene to 303 if used in extreme cold. Or - use Type A automatic transmission fluid.
Manual is for 1960. Now, lots of companies sell special low-viscosity transmission oils. Standard 303 it eqivalent to
viscosity of 20 weight motor oil. Winter-grade modern trans oil is 10 weight.

2underage
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bret there is not much that you can safely use to thin that hydraulic oil. You could use some diesel fuel and that would work for a while but even in cold weather the oil will warm up and it then will be too thin to lubricate the pump and the valves in the controls. If the tractor starts in this minus 20 weather it is best to let run for a while before using the hydraulics. With my 8 year old Kubota tractor, that I keep in a shed, I let it run for 20 minutes or longer when the temp is below 10 degrees and so far no problems.

If you do use something to dilute the hydraulic oil remember to drain it when warmer weather comes. Repairs or replacement of a hydraulic pump can take a big bite out of that state pension! Happy cold weather farming and happy new year.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed. Anything you do to the 303 oil will make it too thin to use this summer. It would be cheaper to start out fresh with Hy Guard or Hy Guard equivalent and not worry about it.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Crawler is best left to sit when the ground is frozen ! They can take off like on ice skates and get you into serious troubles. BTDT.

marloweg
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

first off 303 is the wrong oil for the 65

Ragnarok
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeh...The John Deere low viscosity is probably your best and safest bet for cold temp hyd. oil.

I've noticed that some aftermarket '303' fluids are noticeably thicker than even standard JD Hy-Gard.

Low-vis Hy-Gard will mix with normal viscosity Hy-Gard no problem. I imagine it would be ok for the old spec aftermarket 303 fluids too

2002sliverado
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have to agree with Tx Jim, in going with Low-viscosity Hy-Guard, rather than thinning it out. I have mostly JD equipment, but I do have a few Farmall/IH tractors. The one I do use in the winter time is an 86 Hydro. It does have a heating element in the bottom of the transmission. Whenever I have to use it for moving snow, I do plug it in the night before and it makes a world of difference! I use the Case-IH Hy-Tran in that tractor specifically as required/recommended. I don't like the price of it, but I guess I have a bit more peace of mind in using that product versus another brand.

WayneLee
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We used to thin out loader oil with 2 qts of gas. It evaporated when the temps warmed in the spring

SVcummins
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A premium hydraulic oil is not that much more
money than the cheap 303 oil

rlp in Co.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With my backhoe I just let it idle for 20 minutes before I use it, however I have never used it in the REALLY cold weather that some of you guys have. I wish it had a heater for the transmission and the hydraulic tank.
When I started my pickup the other day when it was 0, the power steering pump complained for about 10 minutes. I'm thinking next time I might take a little propane torch and heat the oil a little before I start it.

jtwat
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2018 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Thinning 303 type hydraulic oil Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could set a halogen flood light under it shining on the belly. That will warm it up or keep it warm over night.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters