Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Multipower ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 12:44 pm    Post subject: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can somone tell me when massey stopped using multipower? Or if some models (50hp-60hp diesel range) are more common without multipower? Looking at late 70s or early 80s 2xx models.

Specifically, I am looking at some 255's. Did most come with multipower?

Thanks

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor could have the MP option, or less costly eight speed transmission. Dealer I worked for never sold an eight speed. Other dealers around did sell a few.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:22:11 01/07/1Cool Tractor could have the MP option, or less costly eight speed transmission. Dealer I worked for never sold an eight speed. Other dealers around did sell a few.

So what you are saying is that tractors of this vintage are rare without the multipower option? I have been looking at Ford 4600 and 4600SU models and just started really considering the massey 165/255 as well. Everything I read says to stay away from multipower unless it works perfectly.

Any ideas how a massey would compare to the Ford 4600?

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a nice 175 (1973 model gas) with perfectly working multipower that will be for sale this spring. Multi-power was very mis-used is why it went out. The manual even says, "leave it in high unless needed to go low for temporary boost in power to get through a tough spot or heavy windrow of hay etc ". Too many just used it as another gear in between and run it there all day. It's simply an under drive for temporary use. You can tell the ones that used it correctly.

mattwillson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Run MP low for heavy tillage, High side is over drive through the clutchpack, Low side is gear drive.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Randy. Specifically looking for a diesel. Whether Ford or Massey, I want a Diesel.

As I get more and more serious looking at buying a tractor is is amazing what I run across on craigslist. Rattle can paint jobs, people that don't return calls, people that don't know what their selling, or have incorrect info listed. Very frustrating. I wish you had a diesel and we might be talking.

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MP can be used in either Hi or Lo for hours on end. What kill most of them is low hydraulic oil level, burns the clutch plates, losing Hi range. Low is a jaw clutch, not the one way roller clutch like IH TA uses. I've NEVER seen the MP low side drive fail, always the high side.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 10:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My brother went through the multipower in his 150 (ad3.152) over 30 years ago, only did it because he was repainting the tractor. Never had any problems with mp in his 150, my brother bought the 150 used (1965 year model) in 1975.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys. I appreciate the information and opinions.

I am looking at a 1978 255 without multipower. Unit has unknown hours but appears to be in good shape without an overall rattle can paint job.

Can somone tell me what year Massey started putting wet discs in the 255? I confirmed that this tractor does have the larger 236ci engine and no multipower but am unsure of the brakes.

Tires are loaded and I am not sure I want them loaded. Is there a way to unload them while still being environmentally responsible? Just don't need the weight as I won't be using a loader. Do loader tires normally mean it was a loader tractor. I guess the clutch was replaced.

*****last....what else should I have this guy send me pics of. What are some known things to look for? I have video of it running and it seems smooth without smoke. This tractor is 9 hours from me so I may have it shipped. What should I be leary of?

Thanks for the help.

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Environmentally responsible? It's just calcium chloride (salt water) or beet juice. County and State hwy dump tons of it on highways which drains off into ground/drains every year. I doubt the amount in your tires will have an affect.

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just going by what the manual says , and some local MF owners. manual says always start tractor with it in "high" due to lubrication of trans components. Also says tractor should be operated with MP in high but if low is needed, periodically shift back to high for trans lubricating purposes. Came right from manual.

65plymouth
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-RandyB(MI) wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:50:41 01/08/1Cool Just going by what the manual says , and some local MF owners. manual says always start tractor with it in "high" due to lubrication of trans components. Also says tractor should be operated with MP in high but if low is needed, periodically shift back to high for trans lubricating purposes. Came right from manual.

Thanks Randy... Trying to decide on a 255 Diesel as noted above. It does not have Multipower so I am going to ask questions in a new thread. I do appreciate all of your help and the help/opinions other have provided.

Jeff

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess I don't understand then. The manual says "when descending a hill,make sure MP is in high, as in low there is no engine breaking affect? Wouldn't "gear drive" be the one to have breaking affect? In another note in manual it says MP trans does not permit engine compression to be used for holding tractor when parked in gear? I was told , and the manual kind of eludes to this, that is only true in "low MP"? So this would make me think the low side used hyd controlled clutch pac / planetary gearset, and "high" would be direct gear?? I have never been inside one so just asking those who have.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Multipower ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a tractor with wet brakes the plate between the differential housing, and the axle housing will these little notches in it (the dry ones don't).

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters