Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Char Lynn power steering

View previous topic :: View next topic  
redjohn
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 12:43 pm    Post subject: Char Lynn power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently bought a complete Char Lynn, power steering for my WD 45. The only thing that didn't come with the system, was the 2 lines, that went to the steering unit. No big deal.
Was amazed at how simple it was to install. Even just going by pictures I had.
The only thing I'm hesitant to do, is drill for the roll pins in the steering shafts. I don't have much information on it, but thought I read, if I don't have set in the neutral position, it may not steer properly. During installation, I turned the steering sector dozens of times, making sure there was no binding, so now, I don't know where I'm at.
My question. How do, or will I know I'm in the right position, before I drill the holes for the roll pins through the steering shaft?
I only want to do this once, and not screw it up.
Thanks for any and all replies

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Char Lynn power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

start the tractor and let it run about idle. turn the wheel 1/4 turn side to side. there it settles without holding the wheel is center position on the torque generator. when drilling for the roll pin, drill part ways thru from one side, insert the pin a little so the shaft doesnt move, then drill thru from the other side. when driving the roll pin in be sure to block the coupling up with wood off the valve cover so you dont break the torque generator.

PJH
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Char Lynn power steering Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't answer your question, but I can tell you that the sweetest power steering I've ever seen was a Char Lynn on a WD 45.

Absolutely NO resistance at any engine speed.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters